Getaway

"Do you know what victory is?" asked a soft voice behind her.

The girl with the broken eyes didn't look up. She couldn't. She didn't want to. Her whole body was tattooed with the rain that had started hours before, her hair dripping with the sky's tears. She hadn't wanted to dry the sorrow of the weather from her skin; for fear that someone would see her own.

"I asked, do you know what victory is?" The voice was soft, but strong. And there was something about it that reminded her that she needed to pay attention.

She still didn't speak and a disappointed sigh came from the voice. It was as if the rain had stolen her voice.

"Victory is, when you lay awake at night and pray for the sanity of others rather than yourself. It's when that broken heart which has tormented you, heals you instead. It's when you learn to forgive yourself for your past and look forward to the future."

The tears hadn't stopped yet. They made their way down her face like lifeless little raindrops, which didn't quite know their way.

"Victory is when your world is breaking apart, but you stand up and look at the broken mirror before you and smile anyway. It's when you find your inner strength... it is your own gateway to victory, leaving behind everything that has ever broken you."

Finally, the girl spoke, her rain stained voice lifting only a little. "I cannot find any strength to face anything anymore. How will I ever find victory?"

The boy with the stormy eyes gently took her chin in his hand, making her look at him when he spoke this time. "Then I will be your strength. And together, we'll build you the strongest gateway ever." 

//an

Smile more :)