The Invitation

Copyright © 2015 ThatMeddlingKid

All rights reserved.

COPYRIGHT: This story "After We Jumped" including all chapters, prologues/epilogues and associated content is copyrighted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988. All rights are reserved by the owner and creator of this work (ThatMeddlingKid) and any unauthorised copying, broadcasting, manipulation, distribution or selling of this work constitutes as an infringement of copyright. Any infringement of this copyright is punishable by law.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I made my way briskly back up towards the school, my stomach tightly knotted with trepidation. I needed to find Meg. With a guilty squirm I remembered the missed calls, and Rhona's words this morning:

"Because you really look out for your friends, don't you?"

I may not have been there for Meg last night but at least I could show that I was ready to listen now.

Unfortunately the first person that I met was not Meg, but Rhona. Even the sight of her sulky expression filled me with annoyance, but when she made to brush past me I grabbed her arm.

"Hey, can we talk?"

"What about?"

"I shouldn't have said that stuff to you earlier. I didn't know what had gone on."

She pursed her lips impatiently.

"I just saw James." I said.

"Huh, and what did he say?"

She said this almost reluctantly, as if she didn't want me to think that we were on the same team.

"Well he told me what happened last night." I said. "That's why Meg was trying to get hold of me, isn't it?"

"She was really upset, and you weren't there."

"I know... I'm sorry."

I shrugged sadly.

"I shouldn't have had a go at you earlier. I know you didn't mean to give people the wrong idea. "

Some of her frostiness seemed to melt.

"I'm sorry too. I was really drunk; I didn't think."

I gave a hesitant smile and she returned it, pulling me suddenly into a reconciliatory hug.

So that was one PR disaster sorted, but even as I disentangled myself from Rhona, I really had no idea whether she had meant it or not.

No, that's a lie. She had probably meant every word.

After turning down an offer from the now cheerful Rhona to go to the canteen, I made my way quickly up the stairs to our dorm room. When I opened the door all I could see was a Meg-shaped lump in her duvet.

"I thought you'd be here." I said tentatively.

"Remember when you and Will broke up and you stayed in here for whole weekend not talking to anyone?"

"At least Scott and I were actually dating." She mumbled. "James isn't even my boyfriend."

"I'm really sorry, Meg."