Chapter 6

Glorielles POV

After some time (and a sore ear) thorin informed us that we were to stop and make camp. We tied all the ponies to a few different trees and set up camp. After the fire had been built and supper had been made and eaten, we all set up our bed rolls and tried to fall asleep. That task was easier for some more than others. *cough thorin and joy cough*

After a while bilbo got up and walked over to his pony myrtle, pulling out an apple. After he had fed her there was a sound of high pitch screaming in the distance. Me being the wimp I am, snuggled up closer into kilis welcoming arms.

"what was that?" I guess Bilbo was as scared as I was.

"orcs" kili replied. At this thorin sat up listening to kili.

"throat cutters. They'll be dozens of them out there."

"they strike in the wee small hours of the night. Raiding villages.

Quick and quiet. Not a sound. Just blood, lots of blood."

Kili and Fili started chuckling whereas I stood up and walked off towards Bilbo. Trying to reassure him that we're safe.

"do you think this is funny? A night raid by orcs is no joking matter!"

"we didn't mean anything by it"

"of course you didn't. You know nothing of the world"

I looked over towards kili and Fili to see them staring at the ground with an ashamed look on both their faces.

Although I was mad at kili for scaring bilbo, I couldn't bare to see him sad.

"hey. Don't worry. Orcs are a touchy topic for your uncle. He'll come around."

I reassured him.

"yes. Do not worry laddie. Thorin has more cause than most to hate orcs.

After smaug attacked Erebor. Our king thror, thorins grandfather tried to reclaim the ancient dwarf kingdom of Moria. We arrived there to find that our enemy had gotten there first. A colony of gundabad orcs, led by the vilest of them all. Azog.

Azog the defiler had sworn to wipe out the line of Durin. He started by beheading the king.

Thrain, thorins father was driven mad with grief. He went missing. Taken prisoner or killed, we do not know.

We were leaderless. Defeat and death were upon us. And that's when I saw him. A young dwarf prince standing up against the pale Orc.

With his armour missing, wielding nothing more than an oaken branch as a shield. He stood up against azog, slicing the pale orcs arm off in the process.

The dwarf prince led us on, and we eventually won the battle. But there was no song or feast that night. For our death was plenty.

We few survived. We mourned and found our remaining loved ones. But There was one who had no one with him on the battle field. Although he had his orphaned nephews to go back to, had lost two of his most important figures in his life.

And then I thought to myself. That is some who I could look upto. That is someone I can call king."

After balin had finished his story, everyone was awake and standing up. When thorin turned to look at everyone, he was met with 17 gazes of awe.

I imagine he felt uncomfortable, so he walked back over towards joy.

"and the pale Orc?" bilbo asked.

"azog slunk back into the hole whence he came. He died of his wounds long ago."

"woah. That must have been painful for his mamma!" joy tried to clear the tension.