Turn It Up

Back To The 90s

The 90s is an era many consider to be the best musical era where music mattered as much as it used to in the 60s. Some even call it the Decade that Rocked. It was kicked in by the scratchy power chords of the timeless 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' and ushered out by the doomy piano intro of 'Baby One More Time'.

Some Facts:

1.The 90s saw the rise of Alternative Rock, pioneered by Nirvana's 1991 grunge album, 'Nevermind'.

2.Other alternative bands such as Third Eye Blind, Goo Goo Dolls, Radiohead and the Smashing Pumpkins warm our hearts.

3.Most fans of the 90s have a hard time admitting that Britney Spears and Backstreet Boys began here.

Major Genres of the 90s Music:

Rap/Hip Hop:

The 90s is considered to be the golden age of rap and hip hop. Many of rap's biggest stars and most influential artists released their music in this decade, such as Eminem.

Grunge:

The turn of this decade saw the rise of grunge, a genre that defines the decade. Nirvana's 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' is the song that is said to not only start the grunge music phenomenon but to be the first official '90s' song. Pearl Jam is the group to take grunge to mainstream success.

Indie:

The indie music industry really came into its own in the 90s when bands like Pavement, The Magnetic Fields, Slint and more came in.

Country Pop:

Country music went pop in the 90s like never before. Garth Brooks not only ruled the 90s charts but became one of the best-selling artists of all time. Alana Jackson and Shania Twain followed in his wake.

Pop:

The Spice Girls were the first girl pop group to tackle the Billboard charts. Towards the end, boy groups like Backstreet Boys and *NSYNC ruled the airwaves. Female pop artists like Britney Spears, Mariah Carey and Christina Aguilera also appeared.

R&B:

R&B music had a rebirth in the 90s. Artists like Boyz II Men, Mary J. Blige, R. Kelly and Toni Braxton helped breathe new life into the genre.

BritPop:

There was another wave of the 'British Invasion' in the 90s. Oasis, The Verve, Blur, Pulp and others started impacting US music in a big way.

Top Ten Bands of the 90s:

1.Nirvana 

2.Pearl Jam 

3.The Smashing Pumpkins 

4.Sublime 

5.Red Hot Chili Peppers 

6.Stone Temple Pilots 

7.Rage Against The Machine 

8.Alice In Chains 

9.Bush 

10.Oasis

Top Ten Songs of the 90s:

1.Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana 

2.I Want It That Way by the Backstreet Boys 

3.One by U2 

4.November Rain by Guns N' Roses 

5.Wonderwall by Oasis 

6.Bittersweet Symphony by The Verve 

7.Enter Sandman by Metallica 

8.Killing In The Name by Rage Against The Machines 

9.Buddy Holly by Weezer 

10.Man In The Box by Alice In Chains

Top Ten 90s Love Songs:

 Share the 90s love!

1.Iris by the Goo Goo Dolls 

2.My Heart Will Go On by Celine Dion 

3.Wonderwall by Oasis 

4.Fields of Gold by Sting 

5.Kiss From A Rose by Seal 

6.I Will Always Love You by Whitney Houston 

7.Friday I'm In Love by The Cure 

8.Fade Into You by Mazzy Star 

9.I'll Stand By You by The Pretenders 

10.Vision of Love by Mariah Carey

What are you waiting for? Dive into the 90s era and listen to some of these great hits that still remain a big part of music!

Column by xxSilverWordsxx