ch 3

Kat's POV

The last bell rings and I'm free. No more fucking school. Its over I made it. Got my diploma and I'm out of here.

I'm so happy and I cant stop staring at it which causes me to bang right into the closed door. Of course only me. 

I rub the sore spot on my head and shake it off. I tuck away my diploma into me book bag and open the door. I take in the fresh air and I just know it's going to get so much better than it was before.

I can't help the giddy smile on my face as I strut through the high school campus. I have to see Zach immediately to show him I made it and to propose my offer to him. I hope to dear lord that he will say yes. I'd be so disappointed and deeply saddened if he said no.

~*~*~*~*~

I turn see the entry way to the open ally he is usually at. The excitement almost bubbles over making me take deep breaths. I turn in the opening only to see something absolutely horrifying. Zach is hunched over with throw up dribbled down his chin and clothes. 

I drop my bag and take slow steps already knowing the outcome of what will be when I finally reach him. I knew this day would come, but I never thought it would be this close. I didn't have enough with him or enough time to prepare for it.

His face came into focus through my unshed tears. It's blue and purple around his eyes. Slowly I bend down and touch two fingers on his neck. 

As I expected no pulse, just nothing but cool skin. I closed my eyes and tried to take deep breaths but the sobs escaped anyway. I just wanted to curl up and cry and cry, but now is the time I have to keep moving. He's gone and I have to go. This is what he would've wanted for me. To move on and keep going on with life. Hopefully his soul wont haunt for I'm doing.

I wipe away the tears calm my self down. 

I go through his jacket in a quick manner. Within the five pockets that I have searched its mostly just unsmoked joints. Typical of him to smoke one after another and when you're that high its hard to roll one up. 

I feel dirty and guilty that I'm taking everything. He was the only person who gave a rat's ass about me and here I am stripping him of what little belongings he had. Not only am I taking all he owned but I'm going to sell all of it. I need money for the bus and have little to no cash. I just feel disgusted with myself.

I continue my search anyway. While doing so I find something that breaks my  heart all over again.

It's a picture of me and Zach while we were dating.  I remeber we took this in centeral park where it just happend a photographer was taking pictures. We had to haul ass to nearest place that would print pictures. It was probably the only picture of us.

New tears shed free from my eyes running down my face as the guilt builds even stronger. I want to smile and frown all at the same time. Maybe if I had stayed together with him this wouldn't be happening. If I tried harder we could have made it. He's not even high in the picture. I can tell because his beautiful blue eyes aren't bloodshot and pupils are normal size and he his smile is so real.