Blink.

    This time, a picture of a Southern plantation appeared before me, and I could see Hope, picking cotton in the hot Mississippi sun. At first I was befuddled, then I remembered what time period this is—I still couldn’t get over the fact that I was a slave. I could see Draco walking along the fence, watching her work, that lopsided grin of his on his perfect features—and I was still surprised that he’s not burning up, or putting on some freak show, all the while standing outside on a beautiful, cloudless day.

    I simply watched—as a third party observer—when Hope looked up, meaning to wipe the sweat off her forehead, when her gaze met Draco’s, and I could see the emotions that went through her after her dark, onyx eyes met his blue, ocean eyes. She smiled, but when the sound of a guard yelling at a little girl to her senses, it disappeared, and she quickly went back to work.

    The scene suddenly changed to nighttime, and I could see Draco leading Hope into the woods, both of them were smiling.

    “What’s this you want to tell me?” she asked, confused, but confident. “I know what you are, what’s more to know.”

    I smiled to myself, glad that each of them were smart enough to know what he really is. And yet, as I watched, I couldn’t stop the feeling of jealousy coursing through my veins. Even if she was me or not, just seeing her with Draco made me feel…resentful.

    “Hope,” Draco said, his voice just as luring as I remembered. “I love you. And tomorrow night, I’m getting you out of this living hell, and get you North—to freedom.”

    She smiled, but I could tell that she was mostly worried than elated. “Oh, Draco, I love you too, but escape is impossible.” She fretted, squeezing his hand. “I’ve seen many of my close acquaintances murdered by the guards whenever they tried to escape…” she paused, tears falling from her face.

    Draco rolled his eyes, and she glared at him, outraged for scoffing off her warning.

    “Hope, you actually think that a bunch of powerless guards could stop a vampire?” he asked, eyes probing.

    She laughed, but from what I could hear, it sounded shaky. He carefully placed his hand on her cheek, and at that moment, the exact moment when his skin met hers, I could see the sense of worry evaporating from her body. A smile formed on her broad lips, and I could tell that it was a real smile, it made her onyx eyes twinkle.

    Then, the scene changed, to the next evening. I watched quietly as Hope eagerly waited for nightfall, her parents seemed to be unaware of her daring jailbreak. She waited in a small room, where her family is kept; occasionally glancing out the window, only to see the sun is slowly setting.

    When the sun finally did set, and when she was sure the coast was clear, Hope carefully walked out of the cabin, and carefully walked into the night. I watched as she made her way into the surrounding woods, the same woods where she’d sneak into with Draco so they could be together. I mentally cheered her on as she walked by the fringing trees, unnoticed from the other guards who’re from what I can see, inside for a ball the land owner’s throwing.

    I continued to observe how careful her movements were, not to make any sudden noises, fearing that there might be a guard waiting for her. Whenever she’d stepped on a twig that would snap, she’d freeze, waiting for the yelling, and the beating that would come. But when she realized that no one heard her, she’d continued, and I smiled down at her for her bravery.

    Then, three dark figures stood, and I could tell that we’re getting to the bad part—her death. I could recognize the shapes of Lilith, Phoebe and Jack, and so could Hope.