Maybe

• Dedicated to Ryuu Ichinose

Happy Mother's Day to all! 

So a lot has happened to me lately. This is the result. This is based on a real-life story. I think.. motherhood is a challenge, a big one. So I decided to write a story about a mother. Hope you guys like it. Rated for adult themes, and content that may break your heart to little shards.

*This is shotgun writing. No edits.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was miraculous, the way it had happened.

The anticipation, excitement, everything. It was a miracle.

Their miracle started the first time they made love. Bodies flush against each other, voices crying out as they moved. Skin on skin, no holding back.

Both of them didn't expect it. A little mishap that could lead to something like this.

"I think we broke it," he said in a low mumble, eyeing the used piece of latex in the trash.

"Damn," she cursed softly.

What they thought to be a mistake was about to turn into their own miracle, a bubble of happiness that could span a lifetime.

After two months, she finally noticed the signs. No period, morning sickness, everything. She was worried, and her friends urged her to go for a pregnancy test. Then, the infamous double line. It was confirmed.

She had rushed over to the phone and dialled his number, nervous to give him the news.

"I'm pregnant," she exhaled.

He stayed silent. His heart jumped.

"Hey! Are you listening? I said I'm pregnant!" she almost shouted over the line, tears threatening to fall from her eyes. "You're the father!"

I'm the father, he thought.

He heard her soft sobs over the phone, and sighed.

"So how's my baby? I'll come over soon. How do you feel?" he said.

She was surprised. She had expected him to break up with her, leave her for good and disappear from her life forever. She had expected him to leave her and his child, alone to fend off for themselves.

But he didn't.

He stayed.

She had stayed over at a friend's house, waiting. Endlessly waiting.

Everyone was in a sort of panic, rushing over to meet her needs and making sure she gets out of trouble. Driving her to the doctor and buying healthy food, it wasn't easy for them.

She sat on the bed, leaning slightly on the wall. She faced the window and looked out drearily. He said he would come soon, but where is he?

Her hands flew to her belly, the cradle of her child. She closed her eyes and sighed. There was no obvious bump yet, but she can feel him inside of her. She could imagine a little child running to her arms, laughing jubilantly.

Her train of thought was interrupted by a loud knock.

"Come in," she called.

The door swung open, and her jaw dropped in shock.

It was him.

"Hey," he said, joining her on the bed. He sat in front of her, smiling. "How are you?"

She couldn't answer. Instead, she threw herself into his arms and sobbed quietly. Her fingers curled over his shirt as tears streamed down her face. He rubbed her back soothingly, an automatic reaction.