Chapter 2

Chapter 2

I wasn't sure if I was relieved, upset or angry. Maybe all of it, maybe none. I sort of felt the same disbelieving anger as the first time. It was different then though. I hadn't been sure what was to come. I had a pretty good idea this time.

If my eyes could literally bore holes into the ceiling, I'd have a nice skylight. Little over a year ago, if I was angry, I would run. I could run a few miles without stopping and I would. I did it a lot. I was getting to the point where I'd do it nearly every day. That or I'd end up punching a hole in a wall.

When you get bad news almost every minute, you sort of end up mellowing out at least a little. Things just made me that weird mix of emotions instead of a set one. I wasn't sure if I preferred it or not. It wasn't like I could run it off so I sort of had to find another vent.

For the time being, I was incapacitated; limited to only my bed. My head throbbed and stomach ached. I felt like any movement or food or anything for that matter, would make me spew. Hal had forced me into eating half my breakfast and I hated him for it.

Poor bloke, he was put on watch duty with me for at least most of the day. I wasn't much of a nuisance I don't figure. I kept myself in with my own thoughts for the most part.

After about two to three hours of me simply lying in bed in the dark, he moved from Bev's designated chair, stretching about. I didn't turn to see him undoubtedly embarrass himself with stiff toe-touches. I hadn't moved at all. I didn't want to move or think. I was thinking of all the things I wished I could do but they all required energy, time and movement and I couldn't have any of those things.

"Come on and eat something." Hal said.

I wasn't going to listen to him again. I'd given him one free pass that morning and that wouldn't ever happen again as it never did before that.

A light flashed as he turned on the telly. I struggled to lean off the bed and grab my shoe to chuck at him. I hit him square in the chest and he dropped the remote. "Honestly! What did I do now?"

"Turn it off."

He massaged his chest. "I have to have something to do-"

"Turn it off!"

He muttered things to himself, switching it off. The room went dark again until he switched on the bedside lamp. "Might I read a book then, Master Schoell?"

"Do it in the lounge. I don't need you here."

"Dr. Allen said to stay whether you said so or not."

I hated when Bev told someone that. She was one of the few people everyone listened to, including me. That bothered me because I never thought there'd be a submissive moment in my life. It wasn't because I was afraid of her. More so, respected.

If I'd had the energy, I'd have gotten Hal out of there somehow, but I didn't. I slumped further into the bed, turning to my side opposite of him. He talked to me some but I didn't listen or answer. Instead, I closed my eyes, hoping to fall asleep so I wouldn't be able to think.

           ___________________________________________________________

When I woke up, somewhere in the middle of the night, Hal was gone. The lights from the parking lot came in through the open curtains, reflecting off any unblocked portion of the floor. Ambulance sirens sounded muffled through the wall.

I sat up slowly, trying to will myself into feeling well. It didn't work in the slightest and I spewed into the trashcan beside my bed. It worsened my headache, but my stomach felt better.