22- V is for Violets

Start from the beginning

We chat softly all the way to the chapel- and all I feel in my stomach is butterflies- until suddenly Liz is parking the car in front of the little blue church surrounded by meadows of tiny flowers peeking out from underneath the light layers of winter snow. It's been a long Winter and we're at the end of it now, leaving the final days of a beautiful white world for my big day. The sun is sizzling on my exposed skin through the lace across my shoulders, and I can almost see the snow melting into water around us. Selena helps me out of the car, tears of joy spiking her eyelashes, and Maxxon snaps photos of us all exiting the convertible as Liz and Abigail pick up my trail to help me across the road.

Then the wedding director Jim appears, guiding me into the backroom of the chapel, where my father waits in his old too-tight tuxedo with a rose in the pocket. He turns to look at me and then I run as fast as I can in this dress to him, throwing my arms around his neck and fighting the threatening tears. When I step back, smiling at my amazing old dad gently, I see the tears in his eyes and hook my arm through his without a word. Our fond exchange says enough.

Jim the wedding director smashes the door open and sends first Selena, then Liz, then Abigail up the aisle. They walk in time to the piano song Nina is playing for us up the front, smiling her face off in a petite mauve dress, until they all line up opposite the best men (Mike Rosenberg, Harry Styles and Matthew Sheeran). I can see Ed, even though he can't see me, and his beauty knocks me breathless. He's wearing a perfectly-fitting black tuxedo that makes him look unbelivably dashing. I never thought he could look better than that night at the Star Awards- but it seems I've been proved wrong. I root myself to the spot, forcing myself not to just run and have him right then and there.

"Go," Jim whispers in my ear, and then I'm stepping out with Dad, sweeping down the aisle. The crowd that has formed in this little West Yorkshire chapel gasps and 'oohs' and applauds as we walk to Nina's beautiful piano song. Dad sniffles softly next to me as we finally reach the podium, and then he smiles at me with all the strength he can muster, his eyes locked on mine.

"Love you, sweetheart," Dad whispers. And then he leaves me. He trots over to the front seat where Mum is slouched- she's already crying, but there's a huge smile underneath her silent tears. I beam at her, feeling joy fizzling all through my body, and then someone's hand is wrapping around my waist and pulling me in. Ed. I turn to him and cup his cheek in my hands, my eyes roaming his beautiful face, struggling not to kiss him in that very moment. But I step back and entwine my fingers through his as the preacher begins to talk.

I don't understand much of it; I pretty much zone out until I can only see Ed's beautiful face. His perfect cheekbones. His hauntingly dreamy blue eyes. His lips, the lips that seem to whisper sweet nothings to me through the silence. And having my eyes locked on his is an entire conversation, private confessions of love in this crowded West Yorkshire chapel.

I can only focus again when I see his perfect lips move in speech, and I realize these are our vows. I listen intently to every word and take it in until I'm sure I'm more passionately in love with him than ever before.

"Taylor Allison Swift, I promise to love and cherish you for all of the eternity we have together and more. I swear I shall never leave you and I will always be there to help whenever you are upset, mad, confused, no matter what. I never used to believe in perfection, but it's in you that I've found it. I have never felt so strongly for anyone in my entire life. When I look at you, I am overwhelmed with everything from want to passion to disbelief, because you're mine, and I promise you that you're the only thing that matters." Ed smiles at me, his lopsided little grin, and I want him so badly it's painful.

"Edward Christopher Sheeran," I begin, tears a hazy screen across my eyes. "You are the most incredibly flawless man on this universe, and I'll admit I've been in love with quite a few men. Or more that I thought I was in love at the time. I was wrong. I didn't feel love at all. Love is passionate, emotional, heartbreakingly intense, and only with you have I ever felt that way. Thank you for being more than everything to me. I swear I will be yours and I swear you will be mine, forever and always."