3- C is for Cafe

"Time passes. Even when it seems impossible. Even when each tick of the second hand aches like the pulse of blood behind a bruise. It passes unevenly, in strange lurches and dragging lulls, but pass it does. Even for me."

"Taylor?"

I snap the book shut and stretch out, like a curled up cat who's just awoken. "Come in, Ed," I call groggily. I've been reading my book, New Moon, for an hour now after waking up at ten in the morning. I've had eight hours of sleep, ten if you count the nap I had after the concert. It would be nice to have twelve, but I suppose it will have to do.

Ed saunters through the door casually, with the aura of somebody who's actually slept for a decent amount of time. I'm jealous of the male sex. They can just roll out of bed, shove some pants on, and go wandering out into the world. But females... that's a different story.

"Hey Ed," I manage to force a smile for him, even though my eyelids are still trying to close themselves.

"Morning. I just thought I'd better get you up. We have soundcheck in two hours," he reminds me, and I nod gratefully.

"Thanks, Teddy," I tease.

"Sure thing, T-Swizz," winks Ed, and I roll my eyes at him. But I'm smiling. "So. South Lousiana, huh?"

"Yeah. I think I came here for Speak Now, actually. I remember Mom and Dad and I had breakfast at a café here." Suddenly, with painful force, the memory comes back to me and whips me across the face. It would be a lovely memory if I wasn't feeling so guilty.

"Really? Because I was just about to take you out for brunch," Ed says proudly, showing no evidence that he's noticed my sadness.

"Oh, my God. Yes please!" I exclaim.

"When will you be ready?"

"Five minutes," I reply, but he knows my trick. Even Ed can tell what a woman means when she says that.

"So half an hour?" He jokes, and I shrug.

"Probably. I'll yell out when I'm ready. Hey, how are we going to get to a café?"

"We drive into town," Ed replies, as if it's that simple. But he seems to have forgotten just a small little catch.

"You don't drive, Ed," I remind him with a laugh.

"Course I don't. But Stu does!" Ed chuckles.

"Aww, you big bully," I exclaim, swatting him on the shoulder playfully. "He's your manager, not your slave."

"He doesn't mind. He's like... a puppy's chew toy. He doesn't protest or anything. Good guy, Stu," Ed adds.

"You're calling Stu your chew toy?" I raise my eyebrows with an uncontrollable giggle.

"Yeah, I guess," He smiles, and then pulls an adorable baby face. "And I'm the puppy."

Well, he's definitely cute enough to be a puppy.

"Alright. I'll get ready. A little privacy, Ed?" I comment, placing my hands on my hips and tapping my foot with mock-impatience.

"Aww," jokes Ed. I'm glad he's joking, otherwise that would be really creepy. But he does this sort of thing all the time; Ed's not exactly the serious type. He grins and trots into his room, shrugging his hoodie off as he leaves.

I quickly get dressed in a white blouse and a pair of skinny jeans. People ask me how long it takes to get ready in the mornings, and I can joke about it all I like, but really it does only take five minutes or so, when I'm not particularly trying. As in, an actual five minutes.