Chapter 24

Chapter 24

The large silhouette of Hogwarts stood looking as grand as ever as I sat on the tree by the lake.

“Lily,” I heard a voice. I knew instantly from the ethereal tones of it that it was Tallulah. I shut my eyes. It had been ages since I had seen Tallulah and I felt a bit embarrassed being around her. I had told her all my deepest and darkest secrets in moments of weakness, and now I was ashamed of that. I had always been a solitary person, never truly needing to depend on others or to express how I feel. Tallulah made me feel like I wasn’t me. “Lily,” she prodded again. I opened my eyes and looked at her. “You have to be careful,” she urged in a silent but urgent voice.

I rolled my eyes. She was always going on about the same thing, about being careful. I was sick of being careful; I didn’t want to live a life of constantly being on the watch for something terrible to happen when I know it won’t.

“I’m serious, Lily. You have to be careful. Today of all days!”

I scoffed. “It’s the anniversary of the Battle, Tallulah. Nobody would dare try anything today, they would be stupid to with more than half the wizard population at Hogwarts.”

Every year on May 2nd, the anniversary of the Battle where my father defeated Voldemort, a huge ceremony was held at Hogwarts. This year was no different, and wizards travelled continents to pay their respects to the deceased.

Tallulah shook her head. “Just take care, that’s all I ask.” I nodded and heaved myself off the tree.

“I should go. My family will be wondering where I am.” Tallulah bade me farewell as I walked away from the lake quickly.

A tingling sensation stung my palm. I looked down at it with dread, and sure enough, there was a line through the Triangle and circle. I cursed aloud, realizing what that meant. The Deathly Hallows symbol was complete and I knew I was going to be the one to go after the wand, whether I wanted to or not.

A wave of dizziness washed over me, and I clung to a tree for balance.

“No, please no,” I begged. I didn’t want this anymore. I wanted to be normal. But my begging didn’t help, and soon I was a prisoner in my own body as it carried me with almost ghost-like gracefulness. My body led me into the forest, making so many turns that I would have no idea how to get out even when I did get control of my body back.

Stop! I screamed inside my head. Again, it did nothing to help.

After at least half an hour of walking and feeling helpless over my actions, I stopped and looked around. What I saw was breathtakingly beautiful. An open field, filled with white flowers blowing gently in a non-existent wind, surrounded me. Right in the middle of the field laid a white marble box. It was long and looked magical.

Still not in control of my body, I walked forwards, but this time I wanted to. I wanted to know what was inside the box. But that wish disappeared as soon as I saw what was emblazoned on the side of it.

Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

I gasped. This was not just a box; it was tomb. Dumbledore’s tomb.

My hand reached out, as if to open it.

No! I screamed, more forcefully than ever. I did not want to disturb the dead; I would not. My hand reached further forwards and this time I broke free.

“NO!” I shrieked, my voice echoing through the field.

My breathing was laboured as I fell to the ground from the surge of the ‘curse’ leaving me. I looked down at my palm and the Deathly Hallows symbol had disappeared.

A scream of anger bit through the still air as I felt my body flying through the air. I passed out before I hit the ground.

This chapter is short, but it's kind of the start of what everything this story has been leading up to, so I really enjoyed writing it!

Please comment!

XO