Chapter One

Kilyn experienced the weirdest week. She opened her door on Thursday morning and discovered a package was waiting at her doorstep. The anonymous brown box lacked markings save her name and address. Late for work, she didn't have time to open it. Though curious, she valued her position at the veterinarian center, so she placed it inside the door and headed out.

As she stepped through the front door she felt a prickling on the back of her neck, the familiar feeling of a person nearby. Kilyn had spent most of her life looking over her shoulder, anticipating the worst. Inexplicably she had always been able to sense other people, especially if they were thinking of her. Growing up, on occasion, she'd felt a threatening presence. The sensation of being followed or watched. This time it felt safe. A benign guardian shadowed her, as protection against the threat. This was new and strange, but welcome nonetheless.

She had finally settled in at work. Her new place, in a new town felt almost like home. After a year, Savannah, Georgia had become comfortable. For the first time her anxiety lessened.

Growing up an orphan, she'd suffered isolation. For a girl who had lived in so many places, home was elusive. Foster families treated Kilyn like the weird kid. An introverted, lonely bookworm, who rarely interacted with others. It was a self-preservation thing, unusual things happened around her she couldn't explain or control which sparked all kinds of trouble. It wasn't until she embarked on her college education she opened up, a risk which rewarded her with a few close friends.

When she returned home later she was exhausted. It had been a busy day at work, many surgeries and worried pet owners. She was distracted from the package by an injured cat she found outside her building. It was a battered up, half-starved little thing. There was something about the cat that made her hesitate, but she couldn't just leave it in the state it was. She didn't usually take wounded pets into her home, but as a natural nurturer, she had to take care of it. Treating helpless animals was a work hazard. Kilyn had always cared for those in need. She didn't have an abundance of friends growing up, but she stuck up for those who needed saving, protecting the vulnerable.

As she tidied up her apartment on Sunday she found the forgotten package. Kilyn read, and reread the letter in her attempt to comprehend. It revealed she was not alone in the world. On her father's side a large family awaited. And her heritage was magical and elven. The letter was accompanied by her genealogy and a large, leather bound, black book. It cracked when she carefully opened it, and a small note fell out.

"This was your father's."

What is this? She couldn't make anything of it. It was all Greek to her, close written text but mostly symbols. Her hands slid over the glyphs. Her fingers tingled, but she couldn't understand the language. She read the letter once more.

"All I can say for now, is that you come from a long lineage of witches and elves. You have powers, Kilyn. Both from your mother's and your father's side."

Kilyn shook her head, put the book and letter away, and then went into the kitchen. She needed something. She searched the pantry, her relief palpable upon locating a bottle of red. She sank down on the wooden chair and took a deep gulp. All she knew about her parents was that they were killed when she was only three, in an accident. Kilyn had miraculously survived.

This was all too big for her to wrap her head around. At the same time, her past fell into place. At least the witch part. Kilyn possessed powers. She could predict the near future, healing came easy for her, and she'd been known to influence people's train of thought, altering it to her liking, not to mention what had happened with a boy from school. Kilyn shook her head, didn't want to think about it.