• Prolouge •

I tapped my fingers on the desk impatiently. Come on bell, ring, I kept thinking. Mr. Jones shouldn't even bother with trying to explain, his drawling voice just made everything worse.

Class still had 15 minutes. I stole another glance to see if it had changed, it hadn't. Dammit. I looked back forward to try and pay attention in this class.

Tick.

Tock.

Tick.

Tock.

I glared at the whiteboard to try to make it disappear when the door burst open.

A boy, my age, walked in and sent a crooked smile to the class and teacher.

"Who are you?" The teacher's low voice echoed.

"Nick Herondale."

"Oh you're the new kid?" Mr. Jones asked.

He nodded.

"Go take a seat." Jones looked down and rearranged his papers.

Unfortunately, the only other seat was next to me. He walked over and threw himself in the chair.

I looked away from him. If I looked at him, I fall into his eyes. They were a beautiful golden.

"Since everyone now has partners, we are going to do the original assignment I had planned." Mr. Jones smiled. First time that's happened.

"Even though there is like 5 minutes left of class?" Someone asked.

"Yes. It'll be homework." He said. The class groaned. "You will ask you're partner questions you never knew, then write a report. You have one month to turn it in."

The class erupted in complaining and groaning.

I turned to see him already staring. I looked down as I turned to a new page in my notebook.

"So.. Umm, let's start with something easy-" I started. He cut me off.

"Elena right?" He said.

I jerked my head up. "How do you know my name?"

"Just took a guess." He shrugged.

That didn't seem right.

I looked at him and he stared back, challenging me. "What's your favorite music style?" I asked.

He avoided the question, his amber eyes looking down. "Yours is pop and RnB." He leaned back in his chair, his arms behind his head.

My eyes widened. How the hell did he know?

"Oh and your favorite color is gold. Favorite book is A Tale of Two Cities. Oh and aren't you an only child?" He said, a neutral tone to his voice.

My eyes widened even more. What the hell was going on?

"How, how did you know?" I asked, completely stunned.

His eyes raked over me. I could tell there were flakes of green in them too. An unusual color mix.

His hair almost matched his eyes, minus the green. The golden made it look like a halo, some parts of his bangs were covering the top of his eyes, which made it hard to tell what color they were, unless you were sitting up close like me. His black shirt and jeans made him stand out more, seem like someone who would be important. And his smile, that crooked smile of his. Perfectly straight and white teeth.

"Nick Herondale was your name right?" I asked.

"Yeah." He smiled.

"What's it short for?" I asked, scribbling down notes.

"Nicklaus." He smiled. (A/N: the originals😍😍)

"That's interesting." I smiled.

The bell rang. He stood up and took his stuff with him, leaving me still scribbling stuff down.

I stood up and grabbed his wrist. He turned around and smiled his crooked smile, I rolled my eyes.

"I was just wondering if I could get something other than your name down today? Can we meet somewhere, public?" I quickly added the last part.

"Public? I'm not going to rape you or anything, do you really think I would?" He laughed.

"I'm not denying it." I snorted.

He rolled his eyes. "I'm going to Bart's pub tonight to the pool tournament. So I'm busy." He smiled and winked at me the I let go of his wrist, watching him walk out of the classroom before gathering my stuff.

• • •

I debated on going to the pub or not, do I really want to see Nick?

I need to get some info from him, whether I have to force it out of him or not.

I got in my car and headed towards the pub, listening to my AUX on the way.

I pulled into the parking lot of the run down pub, thrusting the stick shift into park. The old blue camero has done me well for the last three years.

I got out and locked the doors. I headed towards the broken door, a "bouncer" stood at the door. He wasn't really though, he was small and scrawny, not the type of bouncer you'd suspect.

"I need to find someone in there." I pointed a finger inside.

"$20 a person." He said, without blinking an eye.

"I just-." I started then huffed. "Give me two minutes then I'll pay you, I just got to see if he's here." I ducked under his arm and ran up the stairs to the pool room.

Sure enough, his golden hair stood out in the crowd.

"Nick." I said, crossing my arms.

He froze then turn around.

I thinned my smile into a small line.

"Well well well, Elena actually came." He smiled, that damn crooked smile of his.

"Yeah, and I'd like to get this done, so can you please answer the questions I have."

"Possibly." He shrugged and turned back around at his turn.

I walked over right behind him and pushed his pole to change his direction.

"Really?" He glared at me.

"Answer my questions or I'll continue to do it."

"And if I don't?"

"Test me bitch." I challenged.

He stared into my eyes, then his lips curved into a smile.

He set his pole down against the table, and walked over to a booth and sat down. I didn't move. He motioned for the seat across from him, and I snapped my head back behind me, feeling paranoid. I slid into the booth and pulled out my notebook and my phone. I clicked my pencil and looked at him curiously.

"What do you want to know?"

• • •

Okay I know this isn't really Mortal Instrumentsy yet, but I'm getting there-next chapter you will see the characters we all know and love