Prologue - Stars

Harry-

I looked up at the stars as they aligned in their regular patterns. I loved the stars. They were constant spots of light that always came back, no matter what. Even if the clouds blocked them for months on end, storms preventing me from seeing them, I knew they were still there. The clouds would one day disappear and the stars would be back. They never left. They would never leave. Unlike much of everything else in life.

I felt my wolf become calm and I took deep breaths of the night air, taking it all in. The crickets, owls and whip-poor-wills singing, the cool breeze ruffling the leaves on the trees, and the quiet splashes of the river I sat beside.

My wolf suddenly stirred and wanted to come forth and run, but I wanted to just sit here and relax.

It was such a rare thing for me to be able to go off on my own and know the pack would be alright without me. Louis, my beta had told me to take a while for myself and he would mind-link me if anything was wrong.

My wolf started to whine with his wants, so I sighed and glanced up at the stars once more before shifting into my wolf form. I stretched and howled before I went for a run, feeling myself become loose and free.

I'd run for a few miles before deciding to head back to the pack house. I never felt good about leaving for more than a few hours or miles. So, I turned and took the shorter way home.

I'd slowed from a run to a fast walk, when I froze. The air seemed to carry a smell that I'd never smelled before, though it seemed hauntingly familiar. My wolf began to pace back and forth and whine for me to keep walking. My legs seemed frozen where I stood, and my eyes searched every dark direction there was.

Suddenly on the pathway I'd been walking, appeared a white and tan coated wolf. Her icy blue eyes met my green eyes and we stared at each other for what felt like eternity. My wolf was going crazy and I felt like I couldn't breathe.

The white and tan wolf was obviously female, from her sweet smell. Her build was small and fragile-looking. Most she-wolfs were built the same, but something about her wolf form was so soft looking and beautiful that I couldn't stop admiring her.

Suddenly my wolf howled and his voice shouted loudly in my head.

"Mate!"