"Look's like we've got ten minutes to spare." I say, picking up a stone and tossing it across the ground.

We go to sit down against a tree and talk about last night.

"How we going to survive?" I ask, pulling at blades of grass.

"I don't know." Newt is trying hard not to look scared and it breaks my heart. "But we'll manage."

"I'm scared. I don't want to die here, I don't want to be starved, I don't want to be killed by Gally or-"

"Woah woah woah," He sits up and faces me. "What do you mean you don't want Gally to kill you?"

"Last night. Gally said if no one else will kill me, then he will." My voice is shaky.

"Gally will not lay a hand on you. If its up to me he won't even look at you. I'll throw him in the slammer. Hell, I'll banish him if he comes anywhere near you!" Newt's voice quiets. "I'm going to protect you, Olivia. I will protect you till the day I die."

I look up at his beautiful eyes, shining down on me, giving me hope. He fills my heart with a form of happiness that can't be contained and I want to sing from the rooftops because this boy, this boy is what my broken heart has been waiting for all along.

And its like he can read my thoughts.

It happens so slowly. He leans in towards me and my heart pace speeds up as he puts his lips on mine and I close my eyes and kiss back. His soft lips move in sync with mine and I melt into him. I collapse. I shift my body towards him until  I am on his lap facing him, holding his beautiful face in my hands. His hands are modestly on my waist just like the gentleman he is but he is slowly running his fingers up and down the lower sides of my body. My hands move from his face to his chest for support, otherwise I will sink like quicksand. He moves my hair out of my face and we keep going. The kiss is gentle and dainty, sending butterflies into my stomach and fireworks in my chest.

  He breaks away and looks deeply into my eyes. "Olivia, I–"

  But I put one finger to his mouth. "Please, Newt, just let me kiss you."

  And it all repeats itself until the breakfast bell rings through the Glade. Oblivious to anything else, we stand up and his fingers interlock with mine as we head to the Homestead.

  Everyone seems to notice me and Newt's hands together, but no one says a word about it. And so at first I think that everything is okay, that this is what was meant to be, but I didn't realize that Alby had been watching a few trees away the whole time.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  After breakfast, Newt and I head out to the gardens to work but Alby steps in front of us.

  "Olivia, can I talk to you?" Its more if a command than a question.

  "Um sure."

  "Alone." He says, looking at Newt.

  Newt sighs. "I'll catch up with you later, love." And he leaves.

  I walk with Alby to the far side of the Glade, against the North Wall of the Maze. He gives me a hard glare. God, when isn't this guy in a bad mood?