T a c e n d a

Chapter Sixteen

we loved with a love that was more than love
;
Edgar Allan Poe

How does one live in a moment?

Do you, like, have to make the moment cute? Or happy? Because if that's it, then I must be living the moment. I had about two days— two whole days to drop the bomb to everyone with no idea how to do so.

"For the last time, Pierce. That's not how you make a cupcake." I whined, brushing the flour out of my hair. It was practically everywhere. Adam thought it would be fun to make my kitchen a winter wonderland as seen on TV. I gave him a fair warning mom would kill him on sight.

"But, Haaarper. If we're just making normal cupcakes, we wouldn't even go through all this trouble." He slapped his face in frustration and I couldn't help it. I burst out laughing. Frosty, that's who he looked like, except for the red nose. "I knew cooking with you would be a bad idea. You're shit at it."

I scowled. "I'm not. Who was the one who put the cupcakes in the oven for an hour?" And when he didn't reply, I took a cupcake from a new batch and squinted at the cherry on top. "Whose idea was it again to put a cherry?"

"What? It reminds me of you." Proving his point, he took the cherry, licking the cream teasingly slow off of it. "Want a taste?"

Damn him to hell for making me squirm with just that. "No, thanks. I suddenly lost my appetite."

"You know," Adam's pupils flared but I couldn't take him seriously with flour covering him from head to toe. Advancing towards me, he said, "I want to taste something else. Something that wouldn't remind me of you."

With every step he took towards me, I took an equal step back until I hit the counter. Shit, I'm trapped. "A-and what's t-that?"

A grin grew on his face, the cupcake still in my hand being the only thing protecting me from him. He took a bite on it as I gulped. I don't like the feeling of this. "I want you."

The first touch of his lips against my throat had me moaning for more. The hickey he left on that spot hadn't yet left and with every kiss he placed there, it was bliss. Adam's flour-covered hand slipped under my apron, under the thigh-length dress I wore until it rested just above my butt cheek. And squeezed.

"I've always loved wondered how they would feel in my hands. Now I know." He whispered against my throat, fanning a warm breath against the sore skin. "And I wonder what the rest would feel."

Over the days we got back home, we spent most of our time making out in my room, in my backyard, in the treehouse— hell, even at work. It seemed he couldn't get enough of me as I did with him. That made my heart swell with pride. Just a pinch.

Sure, he made advances like this that, I must admit, felt really good. Though, I always pushed him away when things got too far. He understood. I didn't know when exactly I would be ready for him, to give myself like that in a way that would connect me to him. Someday.

"Too bad we gotta eat the cupcakes." Adam's burning touches disappeared, leaving me a heavy-lidded, moaning mess with my dress bunched up. The cupcake I was holding moments ago lay in a dirty mess on the floor.

"You're a tease, Adam." I managed to say, my chest heaving rapidly. "You'll pay for that."

With a wink, he silently handed me a new cupcake. "So, girlfriend, what do you want to do today? Helena doesn't want us at work anymore because," he wiggled his eyebrows, "for reasons."