Chapter 21: More Summer Shenanigans

Start from the beginning

"Thanks, Mum, I needed to hear that," I said as a smile played on my lips.

My mum tucked a curl of her shimmering red hair behind her ear and grinned at me over a pot of something she was busy trying to make simmer or maybe boil. Anyone who had met me while I was out and about with my family assumed that none of us were related because of how drastically different we each looked. We each had different colored hair and eyes and each of us was a much different height from the others.

I stood up, stretched, and looked out the kitchen window towards the warm day of summer that lay ahead of me. I knew just how to spend it.

"Where are you off to?" Dad asked as I passed the living room and started up the stairs.

"Keys, license, money, Hannah's house, Ernie's house, and finally back here," I prattled off as I ascended the steps.

"Drive safe and don't hurt the car," he said.

"Will do, Dad!" I called from my doorway.

I entered my room and grabbed my small handbag that carried my phone, keys, license, and a little money. I thought about adding some more so I checked my night stand for miscellaneous change. Underneath Draco's letter were a few coins so I stowed those away before tucking his letter back safely in its original envelope. Then in a flash, I was out down the stairs, out the door, and in the my car. It felt good to be behind the wheel again as I trundled down the road toward Macmillan Manor.

I slowed the car to a crawl as I scoped for a suitable parking spot where Mrs. Macmillan wouldn't chastise me for being too close to a particular plant. Eventually deciding on stopping right in front of the door, I scrambled out of the car and up to the large door. Knocking gently, I waited patiently until the familiar scuffle of footsteps followed by the thunking of the dead bolt sounded the arrival of Ernie himself.

"Davis! It's only been one day since school ended and you're already looking to bother me!" He grinned with a slight twinkle in his brown eyes.

"No, moron, I need Hannah to completely annoy you. Does your family mind if I steal you away for the rest of the day?" I asked jovially.

"Being kidnapped by you or spend all summer cooped up here with my obnoxiously loud siblings. I have to say this is quiet the decision," Ernie pretended to feign deep contemplation.

"I do recall that I owe you a trip to the Krispy Kreme Donuts Shop," I added attempting to sway him.

"Yes but if I recall so correctly, it was an entire day spent at one and as of right now, the time is 1:30pm. Don't think that's the equivalent of one day," he said with a wink.

"Why did I even bother showing up here?" I muttered exasperatedly.

"Because you need something to do besides sit around and wait for September 1st when you can finally return to Mal—" I cut Ernie off by turning and making a dash for my car.

"Davis, wait! Slow down!" He chased after me giggling all the while.

I dove into the drivers seat and jammed the keys into the ignition. Ernie slid clumsily into the passengers seat and we were off to Hannah's home.

"Now that you know he didn't kill our Headmaster, how do you feel about him?" Ernie asked referring to Malfoy.

"Conflicted," I admitted.

"Over what now?"

"The fact he still left with all the other accomplices and that one of them was Snape. I don't know Ernie, I don't think he made the right choice going with Voldemort's league of Death Eaters," I said.