Autumn wins

It was the break of dawn. The sun was just peaking over the townhouses. A sharp crunching of orange and red leaves sounded under my boots. The fog hovered just above the side walk and black road. A hate to admit it but I'm going to miss this place. I'll be leaving comfort and familiarity to spend a few months in a foreign country, by myself. Well, I won't actually be by myself I'm going with my class. Either way....

"There's no turning back now," I sighed looking down at the end of the leash where my  puppy, Lillo, was drowning in a sea of leaves. Her little beady eyes squinted as the harsh winds blasted through.  Zipping up my jacket I walked back around the corner to my parents house.
Each house had its own personal touch. Our left door neighbor was two months ahead of Halloween. Glowing plastic pumpkins wrapped around her railings, on her lawn was a hedge stone and on her door was a paper cut out of a white blanket ghost. My right door neighbor kept flower beds of tulips in varying colors, small drive way lights that lead to her door and a cute door mat of a blossoming tulips. Our house was not decorated on the outside but the inside looked like a high class furniture store. When I opened the door Lillo hopped through the threshold and ran up the steps with the leash trailing behind her. She sniffed intensely looking for my parents no doubt. I slid off my boots, picking off the sticky leaves, and stuck them into our shoe cubby. My parents have golden hardwood floors with specs of brown in them throughout the first floor. The walls coming in a rich cream with grey at the borders. Almost every piece of furniture was either silver, grey or white. They loved contemporary and ritzy looks.

Pangs of a wooden spoon hitting the pot in the kitchen  echoed through the first floor. I knew that smell all too well. Baked chicken, mash potatoes and gravy with fried onions.

"In the kitchen sweetie!" my mom called. My dad walked past the main door and waved with a partially eaten sugar cookie in his hand. I walked passed my luggage and into the kitchen. My mom swayed behind the stove in her frilly pink apron. Her coiled brown hair bounced around her shoulders and Lillo danced around her ankles wishing a piece of chicken would fall. 

"I love you guys so much,"  I say. My voice cracks and the corners of my lips began to quiver down.
"We love you too Julian," my dad says giving me a hug.
"Yeah, you'll be just fine. You're going with other people from your university." mom says.

"I know but I don't know them," I say dramatically putting the back of my hand to my forehead.
"What about Hillary?" my dad asks. I move over to sit at the island.

"Oh yeah Hillary is going." I said I went to elementary school with Hillary and middle school as well. By high school Hillary had moved to a different neighborhood so she fell off the grid until now. I guess It will be interesting getting to know her as an adult.  By 8 o'clock my older sister, grandparents, cousins, aunts and uncles had arrived to the house in various vans with small gifts because in the morning, around 9, they'll be seeing me on my way. To Tokyo, Japan.