CHAPTER 11: THE TRADER

The following weekend found Silvie at the polo club in her diaphanous best dress, standing near Walt's pickup truck and a one-horse trailer. Maude sat beside her in a rhinestone-encrusted collar tethered to Silvie's arm by a hot pink leash.

At the rear of the trailer, Dan Stern examined a mahogany-colored, glossy polo pony.

Silvie was making her sales pitch. "He's Florida born and bred -- and you know that means strong bones and healthy muscle from all the minerals in the soil and grass. He's smart, too." She searched for something more to say. Having no other facts at her disposal, she resorted to female intuition. "And such a pretty color! You don't have one that color, do you, Danny?"

Dan was saved from having to respond to that when Maude suddenly barked and zipped away, taking the leash with her.

"Maude!" Silvie cried. "Maude, come back here!" To Dan she said, "Excuse me, I'll be right back."

Maude raced through the crowd of grooms, wranglers, and players milling about on the sidelines of the polo grounds. Barking happily, Maude leaped upon the tight-fitting polo pants and sleek riding boots of Walt McGurk.

Walt knelt down to greet her, and Maude licked his face. "Well, hello to you, too!" He picked up the trailing pink leash. "Shouldn't there be somebody on the end of this?"

"There certainly should!" said Silvie, panting from the chase. "Maude, that was very naughty!"

Walt gathered the puppy in his arms, stood, and handed her to Silvie. "Y'see?" he said. "Some females find me irresistible."

"Maude's a notoriously bad judge of men. She hates Danny Stern, for instance."

"Good dog!" said Walt.

Silvie looked back to where Dan was now leading the mahogany pony back into its trailer. "Speaking of Dan, I've got to get back. 'Bidniss,' as you say. Wish me luck."

"See ya after the match?"

"Absolutely. You can help me count my money after I've sold this horse."

"I'll help you get him loaded to take back home."

Silvie poked her tongue out at Walt and hurried back to her horse and trailer.

Mid-afternoon found the two teams on the field and the stands filled with spectators. A referee blew a silver whistle and a veddy, veddy British announcer boomed over the public address system as the players began leaving for the far sidelines.

"That concludes the third chukker and the first half of this afternoon's match. Ladies and gentlemen, you are invited onto the field for the traditional divot stomping. Children under twelve are invited to visit the wooden pony being set up at mid-field to try their hand at hitting the ball into the practice goal for prizes. We hope you are enjoying this beautiful afternoon at the Palm Beach Polo Grounds."

Silvie and Maude were among the spectators who emptied the stands to move onto the field. Maude was only one of dozens of expensive dogs participating.

While spectators stomped divots on the field, weary players and horses recuperated on the far sidelines. Dan Stern toweled off after dousing his head and face with cool water. A groom held the water bucket and extra towels while watching the children at mid-field lining up and taking turns on the wooden pony.

When Leslye approached, wine glass in hand, Dan tossed a towel at the groom, dismissing him with a gesture. "Three to three at the half, Les. We'll take them in the second."

Leslye raised her glass as if in salute to the children at the wooden pony. "Someone should teach them there's more to the game than hitting a ball." Her voice dripped sarcasm. "Do you suppose the little tykes understand the profits to be made, Danny?"