"What?" Troye asked almost aggressively, mysteriousness of his friends aggravating him to no end. "Why does everyone keep looking at me today as if I offended their great ancestors?"

"It's nothing," Zoe smiled at him gently.

Troye was beyond the point where his irritation could be dialed down, "Clearly, it's something. His majesty Connor Franta has a fucking problem with me again, and so do you. All of you."

Tyler gave him a cold look, scrunching his nose in distaste, "Oh my god, twink, get a grip."

Both Zoe and Troye couldn't help but laugh a little at that label, which shifted the mood slightly. Zoe changed her seat so she could hug Troye and rest her head in the crook of his shoulder. "For a second here, we all thought that you slept with Joey already."

"I barely know the guy," Troye mumbled offendedly.

Tyler snorted, "That never stopped you before." He looked at Troye sharply, when the latter tried to object, "And no one judges you. God knows, I certainly don't. It's just that Connor looks for something beyond one-night stands."

Troye couldn't believe his ears, as he inquired indignantly, "What are you implying?" Zoe hugged him tighter and gave Tyler a warning look.

"Girl, I ain't trying to throw shade here, stop twisting my words. Apples and oranges. You go for your rock star types, but Con is more, I don't know, tame. And both are fine. So you do you, and hopefully, Connor does Joey. Or Joey does Connor, whichever floats their boat."

Tyler was interrupted by simultaneous 'ew' from both Troye and Zoe.

Troye looked at Zoe, "Do you agree with Tilly?"

She looked at him, brushing a lock of hair from his forehead in a gentle, almost mother-like fashion, "About what?"

"Am I not good enough?"

Zoe looked ponderous for a second, "Of course you are, silly." She looked at Tyler, pursing her lips, "And he knows it too."

Troye wasn't sure whether she was talking about Tyler or someone else entirely.

I told you I don't do nice

After Troye hit 'send', he immediately regretted his decision to text Connor. It was crazy on so many levels that the word 'wrong' couldn't even start to describe it.

Okay, I guess? was the only reply he got.

Troye could easily imagine the other boy's confused expression, his pretty eyes squinted and eyebrows furrowed.

Just thought you should know. And Joey is certainly a nice guy

Connor didn't reply for a long time. When he finally did, Troye smiled, despite his best efforts, upon reading the text.

I see what you mean. Thank you

It seemed like Connor was intent on thanking Troye for literally every text he wrote. You can take a boy out of Minnesota, but you can't take Minnesota out of a boy, as Tyler once said.

From what Troye remembered of Joey, the guy was so incredibly good to the point where Troye's teeth ached from his excessive sweetness. Maybe, they would make a great couple, indeed.

Soooooooo Connie, when is your date then?

Troye himself was bemused with his own obnoxious tone, clearly seeing an irritated eye roll from Connor, as the boy typed back a sassy reply.

I guess the same day you are gonna ask out this checkout boy

Troye scoffed irritably.

You seem to think about him so much that I'm starting to get jealous

Troye preferred to think that the double-entendre in the message was unintentional. Connor's answer was quick.

Ohhh, don't be. He only has eyes for you. Btw, he just asked me why you stopped coming to the store

Troye did a double-take.

He just what?

He would fucking kill Connor Franta, his cute smile be damned.

I'm at the store atm. Anyways, I gave him your number and told him to ask you himself) you're welcome

Troye couldn't believe his eyes. He was so done with Connor. Why on earth did he think it was a good idea to play a wingman for Troye?

As if on cue, his phone received another text. Without even bothering to read it, Troye blocked the contact, sending screenshot of his blacklist back to Connor.

How I am gonna shop there now? Poor kid. Troye boy, you have no heart.

He stared at the text, suddenly feeling frustrated.

You have no idea, Connie

Since Connor didn't reply, all Troye could think of was whether his notoriety was becoming more of a burden than a blessing.

A/n I swear this is not going to be your classic love triangle 

Next chapter - "Matching"