:Part Two: Chapter Seventeen

Chapter Seventeen~

Silence crept through the house. It was a good hour after dinner and I was done with my home assignments. Dad and Ella had decided they would leave in the morning, as the tickets had said, and I wondered how Jonny and I would leave for the ranch with security everywhere.

Elliot could have helped me out. He'd gotten me in and out of the place more times than I could count, and always I felt like a sneaky racoon. Thinking about Elliot had his words coming back to me.

He'd been right. I could only lean on myself, and Jonny, though I didn't want to burden him more than I already had with the whole issue glooming the house. Even the house employees were unusually quiet, and this was the same staff that had been with us since I could remember.

And as the silent night and it's chirping crickets set in, my mind began its rational thinking. The facts were plain to see: we'd come here, to Ella's house of choice, but we'd carried with us staffs that were once under my mother's hand, I'd acted like a hateful daughter, and I'd completely ignored the turmoil I'd seen on Elliot's face.

I couldn't imagine how much I'd refused to see. On this night, I wondered just how far gone in the fast lane I'd been to have shunned the feelings of others. I sighed.

There was no time for any of that now. I had to find a way to get us to the ranch and out of this house before morning broke. We'd make it there, even if I had to speed drive. There was a van in the garage, but I'd wake up the whole house by the time I pulled it out of its deep parking.

No, it would be the Ashton Martin, then. It would be faster and more comfort. I'd have to use my card: we'd need gas and I wasn't one for leaving people worried about me. They could follow the trail of cards and find out where we were going.

All that I needed was to find a way to get us out of the house. I wasn't legal yet so this act was going to turn out not so nice.

Someone knocked at my door. I glanced towards it, uncertain whom it was. Usually, people called out to me and I called back their entrance. I looked up to find there wasn't light in the hallway. Strange things always happened to me.

The knocking came again. It wasn't the door. This was sharper and less concentrated. It was my window, or rather, my balcony. With this revelation, I noticed the familiarity of its impatient knocking.

Elliot... I couldn't believe it. Had Elliot come to reconcile... whatever it was we'd had? Would I accept? I didn't know. I put the book down without a care of the page and rushed for the balcony doors.

What was he doing here? Didn't he know he could be caught? I pushed open the thick curtains to find Elliot all aglow, standing in the middle of the balcony, eyes darting around him to ascertain he wasn't being watched, ready to be tranquilized.

I nearly laughed. He'd been at this part many times, but he always watched out for the tranquilizer guards, a tale I'd woven to get back at him for leaving me high before a party. A light sheen of sweat glistened across his forehead and I wondered about turning away from this heartthrob, leaving him sweltering up here.

He turned to rap again, but found me there. The idea left just as quickly. I sighed, pulling open the lock and pushing the door open. Elliot was swift as he got in and I quickly stepped back watching his towering frame quickly close the door behind him.

I was shaking my head in amazement as he turned around. He smiled though he was attempting at suppressing it. "What?" he asked. He pulled off a black beanie and combed his hand through his hair.

I pulled my lips in, attempting not to smile with triumph. If only he knew he'd just done the hero move, where the heroine walks to her balcony to find her hero on it, and then he jumps into the room and combs his hair with his long fingers, disarraying already disarrayed curls. A giggle escaped me but I quickly covered it with a cough. It wasn't quick enough.