2- The Grunge

I held back tears as I closed my journal. I had been sitting on a checkout counter in a grocery store, waiting for Alex to get back. The back of my hand wipes across face, capturing the stray tear that somehow escapes. As I swallow, I feel a lump in the back of my throat, reminding me how close I am to crying. I start to get up and leave, when Jessica struts in.

"What are you doing? God, you are such a freak." She grumbles as she walks by me. Typical Jessica. I don't say anything or do anything, but I get criticized and called names.

"At least I'm not on skinning duty." I mumble underneath my breath.

She whips around, giving me a death glare. "What did you say?" In a sassy tone.

"Greetings everyone, I have returned! Come hither children, I come bearing gifts!" exclaims Alex, in his mock English accent. He has three dead rabbits slung over his shoulder, and a giant smile plastered over his face. "WE ARE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT MY FRIENDS!" He shouts, jumping on a turned over shelf.

There's nobody like Alex to get you out of a gloomy mood.

Wow! Three whole rabbits?" I exclaim jumping off the counter.

"Yeah, I think everyone has to call me 'King Alex, Master of the Hunt'." He proclaims.

"Oh really?" I smirk. "I guess you can be on official hunting duty from now on." I start helping him untie the ropes around the rabbit's legs.

"Ugh, no." He wrinkles his nose from thought of hunting permanently. He's so adorable. I think to myself.

"I should go find some vegetables to add to our glorious feast while Jessica is skinning." I say, once we are done untying the rabbits.

"Ewwww, I don't want to skin!" Jessica complains in her whiny bratty voice.

"Well, it's your turn, so suck it up." I'm so fed up with her whining.

"You know what you little-"

"Shut it both of you." Alex orders. We know when to stop because Alex rarely get firm with us.

"But-" She persists.

"I. Said. Shut. It." His dead set face tells her she better stop.

"Later!" I shout starting to walk out the door. I get almost outside when I turn around and hear Alex and Jessica talking.

"I don't wanna skin." She whines.

"If you stop complaining, I'll just do it. Goodness, it's not that big of a deal." He sighs. I think he's tired of her too.

"Thanks Babe!" She says in her sweetest voice. I swear to god she skipped away. She absolutely disgusts me. But that's what she does, that little slut. She calls guys "babe" and "love" even though she not dating them. Maybe I'm just bitter because I have a major crush on him. And possibly a little jealous, because a hot cheerleader has a better chance with the hot athlete rather than a nobody. Right? I really hope I'm not too virulent or mean. I don't mean to be, it's just... her. We have history with each other, so I guess that justifies my attitude towards her.

Alex and my eyes meet. He rolls them. I laugh. He turns back to the job of skinning the rabbits. I turn back to go gather some vegetables.

"This is really really good!" Charlie exclaims. "I haven't had a meal this good in, like, weeks."

"Mhm!" I agree, mouth full.

"Whatever." Jessica grumbles, picking at her food.

We get a grunt from A.J. That's a good sign, because it's the most sound he's made all day.