Chapter Eight

Jim Moriarty stood in the damp underground tunnels of Manhattan's subway systems, his hands clasped behind his back.  He studied a map of the tunnels that was plastered across the subway wall, just above a tiny black bench.  The fingers of his right hand idly brushed over the vortex manipulator on his left wrist.

Footsteps echoed down the tunnel, approaching from his left.  He heard them stop a foot or so away.  Moriarty ignored them, continuing to stare at the map, tracing pathways with his eyes as he memorized the locations of the tunnels and their turnoffs.

Eventually, the person got impatient.  He cleared his throat.  "Sir."

Slowly, Moriarty turned to face the person.  It was one of his demon servants - one possessing an ordinary human, seeing as it was difficult to communicate with weeping angels.  Moriarty said nothing, just stared at the demon in silence.

The demon had possessed a subway security guard.  Pudgy, a bit overweight, with short black hair and a day or two's worth of stubble on his face.  He cleared his throat again.  "Sir, the scanners have located the Winchesters' mode of transportation.  The blue box."

"TARDIS," Moriarty said slowly, drawing out the word.

The demon nodded.  "Yes.  That."

"Is Sherlock still on board?" Moriarty said in a disinterested tone.

The demon nodded again.  "Probably, yes, or he's right nearby.  There are two life forms on board - one time lord and one human.  Then there are four other humans scouting around an abandoned factory outside."

Moriarty turned back to study the map again.  "What about the angel?"

"We.. don't know, sir," the demon replied a bit nervously.

"That can't be good," Moriarty said indifferently.  Then he went silent.

The demon shifted from side to side.  Moriarty's silence was obviously unnerving him.  Moriarty waited, wanting to see how long the demon could hold out.

"Do you want us to-" the demon finally began.

Moriarty instantly spun, whipping the Winchesters' demon-killing knife out of his sleeve and swinging it at the demon.  He stopped the blade half an inch from the demon's throat.  The demon immediately  cut off, going cross-eyed as he tried to keep the knife in his sight.

"First off, I want you to shut up," Moriarty said quietly.  He pulled the knife back, examining it close to his face.  Then he hefted it, tossing it back and forth between his hands a few times.  The demon stared at it nervously.

"Time travel," Moriarty said.  "It's a funny thing."  He spun the knife in his fingers.  "I went back in time to a few days ago and lifted this right out of their bags when they were busy getting Sam back from the past."  He smiled faintly.  "They probably still haven't noticed it's gone.  They've been a bit... occupied recently."

The demon gulped.

Moriarty tossed the knife into the air and caught it after it flipped three times.  "Even if they did have it, it wouldn't do them any good," he continued.  "It kills demons, but what if the demons are inside weeping angels?  You can't exactly stab stone."  He looked at the security guard.  "You, though, are perfectly vulnerable.  You're possessing a human, not a weeping angel."

He sighed and tucked the knife into his belt.  "Unfortunately, I need you," he said, sounding disappointed.  "So you're going to go get your little group of possessed statues together and attack.  I want Sherlock and his little pet John dead.  Immediately."

"What about the Winchesters?" the demon asked.

Moriarty turned a look on him.  "Oh, right, I forgot... There's some bad history between you, isn't there?"  He waved a hand.  "Do whatever you want with those two Americans.  Torture them, kill them, throw them in hell - I don't really care."  He suddenly grabbed the demon by the front of the shirt and leaned in close, his voice lowering to a dangerous tone.  "But you'd better make sure that Sherlock is dead.  Are we clear?"