Chapter 14 "Nearly the Games"

**7 Months Later**

Cato’s PoV

It was two weeks until the next Reaping, and also my last one. I was eighteen now and this year I was volunteering. No one could stop me. All I needed to do was get the highest score out of one hundred in the Training Academy then convince Clove to help me. It was simple, partners always had to go in together and this year it was us. I swing my bag over my shoulder and walk in the Training Academy. Today, it was packed with people who wanted to be the next tributes of the seventy-fourth Hunger Games.

“Little Miss Clover!” I call.

“Giant.” She mutters.

“We’re having those tests today. You’d better do well.”

“Of course I will.” She says arrogantly.

“I’ll beat you up if you don’t.”

“Like you would do that.”

“Its not like you could beat me.”

“Pfft. I’ve done it before, piece of cake.”

“You’ll get fat if you keep eating cake.” I laugh. She waves her arm in dismissal. Partners are called up one by one as we continue training.

“Clove Sevina and Cato Hadley.” Enobaria comes out of the private room. She holds the door open as we walk in. Enobaria steps on a platform that brings her up to the other head trainers, all winners of previous Hunger Games.

“Pick your weapons.” The one in the middle announces. Clove picks up her throwing knives and smirks. I grab my sword and throw it playfully around.

“You have fifteen minutes to survive in this simulator, using only these weapons. You will be judged on your skill, technique and cooperation with each other. It will commence in ten, nine, eight…” The head trainer informs. Clove smirks at me and mouths “I’m so going to beat you.” I shake my head while the countdown comes to an end.

The room suddenly dissolves and turns into a snowy terrain. A few seconds later, I hear a faint growling. A pure white cat-like animal jumps out. A knife goes into its back when I catch a first glimpse. Wow, Clove was fast. It disappears; I figured these were only projections. What hi-tech, with projections that can actually seriously injure you. I spin around hearing snow crunching behind me and swing my arm down. The animal falls apart and rises up in the air. That was different. I couldn’t believe what I saw, a person running towards me with a dagger. It had to be a projection; I slice it in half when it’s close enough. Too easy. The air starts to get warmer and the room turns back to its former self.

Clove’s PoV

“You two did well. Now we will assess your weaponry skills. Ladies first.” The head trainer says without looking down at us.

“I want you to try to get as many as these as possible in thirty seconds. Ready, set, go.” Enobaria clicks a button and small flying machines start whizzing around. I fling several of my knives and get them in the middle with accuracy. I then effortlessly throw my last knife in a circle motion getting three at once.

“Wow, you’re even better than me.” Enobaria claps, impressed. I smile arrogantly at her and poke my tongue out at Cato.

“Eh. I’m bigger than you anyway.” He shrugs. I open my mouth wide and no words come out, I guess I don’t have a good comeback.

“Cato, you will be having a duel with me. If you can last five minutes without any sort of injury, minor or serious, you will pass.” Aryes, the trainer for swords announces.

“Ha. Good luck with that.” I cross my arms over with conceit.

“Like I need that, Clover.” He replies, presumptuously.

Aryes walk up to Cato over-confident; I could easily see it in his face. Cato’s sword was a lot more blunt than Aryes’ but he would win this fight without twitching. He was just so determined to be a tribute this year, I commend him for that. I just had to prove one thing; I was better than him, by winning the games. The fight goes on, Cato wasn’t injured yet but sweat was dripping from his forehead and his panting was a lot heavier. Aryes is a worthy opponent for Cato.

“Stop! The session has ended. Please return tomorrow for your results.” The head trainer says expressionless.

“Nice going, giant.” I comment snidely.

“At least I did better than you.” He snickers.

“You can’t throw knives.”

“You wanna bet?”

“No thanks.” He wipes the sweat off his forehead on his arm. I notice the cheeky smile on his face. Cato wipes his arm with sweat dripping off it, all over my shirt. I squeal loudly.

“Oh my god! Ew! That’s so gross, Cato!” I scream. He laughs and I give him my famous death glare.

“Uh oh.” He says then bolts for his life.

“I’ll get you for that!” I yell playfully then chase after him. It took me a while to catch up to him; he was a faster runner than me. I jump onto his back and rub my knuckles into his head.

“Ow!” He loses balance and falls. We wrestle each other until we were out of breath.

This gave me memories of when we used to wrestle when we were kids. I fall on my side when we both surrender.

“Remember when we used to do this all the time?” Cato asks, out of breath.

“Yeah, you read my mind.” He chuckles and begins to get up.

“I’ll walk you home today, how does that sound?” He asks charmingly. I just couldn’t resist.

“Sure!” I answer a bit too eagerly with my face going bright pink.

“Are you blushing?” He laughs.

“No!” I reply trying to hide my shame.

“You’re blushing!” He teases.

“It’s just really hot…”

“My charm is too irresistible for you, Clover.” He winks.

“Don’t get so conceited.” I hit him on the arm while we continue walking home.