Second Chances pt. 2

Start from the beginning

"Theo was really excited for your call," you continued your evil act. Although for a moment you felt bad, you brushed the feeling off, remembering he deserved so much worse than that. "He was just wondering when that wonderful and ever-loving dad will come into his life like he promised." You could feel everyone's eyes shift away from you, as if they were experiencing second-hand embarrassment for Luke, but your gaze only focused on the blonde's face, burning holes into his skull. At least, that's how he felt.

Everyone stayed silent for a minute and you took it as your cue to leave – your job was done. So you simply took your ice cream, handing one cone to your boy, and left the shop. But apparently, they felt different, when you heard a couple people come after you.

"I have a daughter," you heard Calum say after you and you turn around. "She's about the same age as your son." He added, gesturing down to Theo.

"I know," you chuckled, although it seemed a little forced and imitated. "Me and your wife, we're friends. Theo loves playing with Alia, they've known each other since they were still in diapers," you arched an eyebrow at Calum, a soft smile on your lips that still didn't seem very genuine.

"You what? I had no idea you still talked to each other," you saw his face shift in confusion, when you nodded.

"Yeah. All of us girls were really close, remember? And unlike you, they actually stuck around long enough to hear my side of the story," you shrugged your shoulders slightly, feeling a lump form in your throat at the painful memories of losing some of the closest people in your life. "I still keep in touch with all of them and I know your children very well. We all hang out in the parks a lot." You added, your gaze carefully inspecting all three of the boys' faces. Luke was nowhere to be seen anymore.

"If any of this is true, how come we didn't know any of that?" Ashton quizzed, not completely sold on the story, whereas Michael seemed completely detached from the conversation, as he didn't have any children. Or a wife, for that matter.

"Because you clearly chose Luke, but the girls still wanted to help me out and keep in touch. They knew I was pregnant and they knew what Luke actually did, so," you shrugged, "I don't know. I told them I didn't want them to compromise their relationships with you, but they insisted on keeping in touch and I guess they chose not to tell you," you shrugged again, your gaze dropping to the ground for a second before coming back up to look at the puzzled expressions on their faces, as your little boy munched on his delicious ice cream.

"Well, I have to go. Say hi to your-," you started before Calum interrupted.

"We're having a dinner party on Friday. Would maybe like to come?" he took a step towards you with a shy shrug.

You almost laughed in his face, "Me?" His offer sounded unbelievable.

"Yeah, I mean it's the least we can do after all those years..." Calum stuffed his hands in his pockets nervously, as he bit on the inside of his cheek.

"Maybe we could try and, you know, be friends again or something. I'd love to get to know Theo more, too," Ashton added in and you felt your eyes move to Michael expectantly.

He was kicking the ground with the nose of his shoe, his eyes inspecting the pavement. "Michael doesn't seem too keen about that," you let out a chuckle. "It's okay, guys. I don't want to intrude or anything. I don't need your friendship out of pity."

In the corner of your eye you saw Ashton nudge Michael, while Calum spoke, "No, it's nothing like that. We actually missed having you around a lot, but because Luke told us a completely different story, we kind of had to hate you for it."

"I'd love for you to come." Michael said quickly, completely out of nowhere, words smashing and tumbling in his mouth and his eyes still nervously sliding down the pavement.