Chapter 2

I drove the limo down the road, looking for that stupid, ugly food truck for crêpes. I hated it so much it was laughable. Especially since he just got it for the mission he was working on, but probably planned to use it in the future. L would be irritated, even though he wouldn't show it, that I was going to drive my car separately. I didn't want to go in the truck, but I had to meet them there anyways. I would have had to drive there either way.

Other orphans from Wammy's House did not work personally with L. Most of them hadn't even met him. When I was nineteen, I was at Wammy's as a mentor. Watari came back and told me L's wishes for me to join him in his cases from now on. I didn't solve too many cases myself unless L was completely wrapped up in one. When he wasn't, he would ask my opinions often, and I would be right, but we all knew that he knew the answer already. Also, I found cases for him to work on. Cases with ten people dead or a million dollars at stake.

I was going to be the next L if he were to die before he retired. If he did happen to stay alive until he was old enough to stop solving cases, I would not become the next L, because I would be only three years younger than him. L wasn't sure still about who he would choose to be in place of me. It was between Near, who was thirteen at the time but the smartest kid in the orphanage, or Mello, who was the same age and the second smartest. The were kids who deserved to become the next L. Especially over me.

I rounded the corner and spotted the food truck. I saw Watari standing next to it with his back turned and L was climbing out of a bear suit. I giggled to myself. L truly was shameless, yet full of pride. I pulled up behind the green truck and stepped out of the car. They both looked at me. "Did you get the brief case?" I asked, walking over.

Watari held it up and smiled, "Yes."

L said with an annoyed expression, "Why did you bring the car?"

"How else was I supposed to get here? You wouldn't bring me along, and it was too far to walk. Plus, I hate that truck," I frowned. L was my best friend, and not only because I wasn't allowed to have relationships with outsiders, but we were both stubborn and didn't see eye-to-eye on everything. That truck was one of those things.

"It was too dangerous to bring you with. You would have been fine walking. Also, there is nothing wrong with this truck," L argued.

"You have said that every time!" I protested. "I want to do more than just sitting behind a computer pretending I'm you."

He said, "Perhaps that day will come soon, but for now, I do not wish for you to get killed. Now, have you found any cases for me to work on next?" Usually, I would say no. Cases up to L's standards didn't happen everyday. He and Watari were expecting the same thing.

I nodded, "Actually, yes, and it is rather disturbing." He raised an eyebrow at me and ate a macaroon Watari had brought him as a reward for solving the case, dripping with chocolate. "None of the police or investigative bureaus have recognized it as a case yet, but civilians have. Criminals have been dying of heart attacks all around the world. Even those who were in perfect health. No disease or substance has been found in any of their bodies that could have caused this. And this hasn't been a few people just happening to have dropped dead in times close together. We can't keep count of the numbers anymore. It's rapid. We can't even know about all of them, since some have died that weren't behind bars.

"The people are believing that this is a more divine entity who has been causing this to happen. Killing criminals to protect and rid the world of evil. They are calling him 'Kira,' which is supposedly derived from the English word 'killer.' I believe it is worth looking into."

L thought, "If this is what you have described it to be, and we are to look further into it, then our old approach will not work. We must get to work immediately."