N I N E

I stop in my tracks and I slowly turn around but Rick and Carl carry on walking. Walkers swarm down the hill.
"Shit! Carl, Rick, run!" I scream as Rick turns around.
His face falls and we sprint to the barn. The first few are catching up and I aim my gun at them. We run into the barn and climb to the top. I run round looking for an exit, but every exit is a couple metre drop with walkers at the bottom.
"We're trapped." I bend over catching my breath.
"There must be a way out." Rick looks into the pit of walkers and wipes the sweat from his face.
I peer out of a gap in the wood, the walkers who can't fit into the barn are making their way to the house. I notice everyone running to the cars but Hershal just stays shooting at the walkers. I turn away as Patricia gets bit. I walk back over to Rick but I trip up on a carton of fuel. Fire. My shaky hands pull out a lighter and I pour the fuel over the side. I look at Rick.
"Get ready to run. The RV is under that window. Don't think just jump." I look sternly at Rick.
"What about you?" Carl asks.
"I'll follow. Trust me." I smile at the blue eyed boy.
As soon as they are out of the window, I drop the lighter into the walkers and I watch them burn. Securing my bow and arrows onto my back, I check that my gun and knife are in my belt. Someone shouts my name; snapping me out of my trance and I jump out of the window and onto the roof of the RV. Rick catches me before I slide off the other side and we hold onto the bars as the RV drives from the burning barn. We drive up the dirt path and onto the road; taking one last look at the overrun farm. The adrenaline has seeped out of me and all I can think about is everyone getting out safe. Daryl and my family better had. Whoever's driving takes us back to where we left the supplies for Sophia. We park up and I help Carl down. Quickly, I throw open the RV door and I look who's inside. Lori, T-Dog and Carol sit in the RV. I fall to my knees and I feel everyone rush towards me.
"Daryl?" I choke out, my vision blurs as tears fall out of my eyes.
"He's not here, but we will wait for as long as possible." Lori pulls me up and sits me in a chair.
T-Dog sits in the driver's seat, drumming his fingers on the wheel. Carol, Lori, Carl and T-Dog fall asleep but I lie on the bed thinking about everyone. Eventually, I dismiss the idea that I'm ever going to get to sleep so I pace the RV. Morning soon comes and I sit motionless on the chair in the RV. Lori sits opposite me and smiles kindly.
"It's just a waiting game."
My leg shakes nervously and I hear Rick shout that a car is coming. I jump up, pushing past Lori and I run outside. The car stops suddenly to avoid hitting me as I'm held back by Rick. The driver's door opens first and Glenn steps out. I rush to hug him, Maggie comes out next and then Hershal. I hug them both but they look at me with tears in their eyes.
"Daryl?" I ask, playing with my hair.
Glenn shakes his head. A second car parks up and out steps Chris. I run to him and enfold him in my arms, kissing his cheeks. Hedi opens the door and I hug her tightly she grins at me, her dark hair flowing over her face. The back door opens and a trembling Beth steps out. I hug her too and Maggie takes her into the RV. Still no sign of Daryl. Hedi goes into the RV, with everyone else, and plays a game with Carl. I stand by the cars not wanting to move. Glenn soon comes out and hands me a blanket.
"You gonna wait here all day for him?"
"If I have to, then yes. I am not leaving here without him. No matter what."
Glenn hugs me tightly as I cry into his shoulder.
"Everyone I get close to disappears or dies. Amy, Shane, Dale, Sophia, Otis, Patricia, Randal and now Daryl. I'm a curse to this group."
Glenn strokes my hair, "No you're not. This group couldn't have made it without you. Daryl loves you and I'm sure he's still out there trying to find us and he will." Glenn holds me at arm's length. "Just believe he will."
Glenn soon walks off and I stay the rest of the day on top of the RV. Occasionally someone comes up to check on me but I just shrug them off. The sun starts to set and it gets cold. Lori comes up the ladder holding a bunch of soft blankets. She lies them across me as I stare into the distance.
"He'll be okay. Daryl's too stubborn to die." She smiles and sit on the chair next to me. "I think you and I got off on the wrong foot. I've acted like a bitch but I want to forget that. I really like you, Lottie, and my son does too."
I look over at her and she smiles at me.
"I'm sorry too, for throwing that arrow at you."
She chuckles.
"Even though I didn't like you I still would have kept you safe, the baby safe. For Rick. He's a strong man but if he loses you he'll break." I look down at her stomach. "It's starting to show now. Soon we'll have to find somewhere safe and get baby stuff."
"It is." She strokes her tummy. "Have to start thinking of baby names too. Maybe Hope or Faith."
"They would be nice." I mumble.
We sit in silence for a bit, and I curl my legs up. Something hard digs into my hip and I pull a flask out of my pocket. Moonlight reflects off it and I turn it around in my hands.
"What's that?" Lori asks sleepily.
"It's a hip flask. Daryl gave it to me, it's the first thing we ever shared." I shake it. "Still full." Grinning I pop open the lid and take a large drink. "That's good!"
We laugh and I down the rest of the flask. Shakily, I open my rucksack and I take out one of the many bottles of whiskey.
"May I?" I hold up a bottle to Lori.
"Be my guest."
I open the bottle and I drink the whole thing. Soon I'm drunk and I tumble down the ladder landing on my ass.
"Ow!" I giggle, still sat on the floor.
Lori leans over the side and chuckles at the sight.
"Are you okay?"
"Yerrr. Just visiting the floor, it looked lonely." I pout at the floor.
Chris runs out of the RV and stares at my drunken, pathetic state.
"Help me back up." I extend my arm out to him and he lifts me up.
I struggle to get up the ladder but eventually I do. I plonk myself back into the chair and I stare into the darkness.
"I bet ya, that I can get this bottle into that trunk." I point to a open trunk, Lori chuckles.
"I bet ya can't."
Taking on the challenge I stand up, wobbling and I aim. Slowly, I lift up my arm and I throw the empty bottle of Jack Daniels. Instead of going forwards it flings backwards. Lori falls into a fit of laughter as I turn round shocked.
"Must have been ... been the wind or something." I scratch my head.
Lori pulls me back into my chair.
"Sit down before you follow the bottle. I'll stay on watch you go to sleep."
I rest my head on the arm of the chair and the alcohol soon forces my body to sleep.