CHAPTER 10: THE JOB

Start from the beginning

Diane knocked a warning, then opened the door to Leslye's office and admitted the gentlemen from Ichi-Nobuko Corporation. "Mister Yorobuko and Mister Ikagi," Diane announced, then she withdrew and closed the door.

Leslye exchanged bows and traditional greetings with the well-dressed visitors. She had made a study of proper Japanese business etiquette for just this purpose. Formalities accomplished, Leslye led her visitors to the table displaying the model of Pace Tower. She gestured to it like a game show host.

"Well, there it is! Lovely, isn't she? How did that final version of the agreement strike you? We have it on computer; we can make changes immediately if you like. We could schedule a signing for tomorrow."

Mr. Yorobuko nodded to the younger man. Ikagi reached into his briefcase and produced the overnight envelope addressed to Ichi-Nobuko. With a bow, Ikagi presented the envelope to Mr. Yorobuko.

Mr. Yorobuko said, politely, "I believe there are some structural problems to be discussed. The signing may have to be delayed." He removed Leslye's own Pace Tower file from the envelope and, with a bow, handed it to her. "We have taken the liberty of making copies of everything." He said.

Leslye turned whiter than a kabuki dancer's face paint.

A short while later, the Windbreaker Man watched from a hotdog stand across the street as Mr. Ikago and Mr. Yorobuko exited the Pace-Larrimore-Stern building. Their faces were grim. Windbreaker munched his hotdog and chuckled to himself.

The Japanese gentlemen boarded a limousine and left for the airport. Windbreaker gave the hotdog vendor a large bill. "Keep the change."

Inside Leslye's office, the frantic woman opened her secret cabinet and confirmed her worst fears. The files were missing. She closed the cabinet, eyes wild, and returned to her desk.

Leslye gulped pills from a bottle in her desk drawer and washed them down with liquor from a monogramed silver flask. She jabbed the intercom button. "Diane! Call the pharmacy and get my Valium refilled. Then get me Stern. Then have the locks changed on my office. Today!"

The locksmith put the finishing touches on Leslye's new office locks just as twilight began to tint the sky beyond the magnificent windows of the posh office. Leslye hovered over him until he handed her the keys. "These are the only ones?" she asked him. "You're sure?"

"Yes, ma'am," said the locksmith. He tore the customer copy of the work order from his clipboard and extended it toward Leslye.

"Leave it on Diane's desk on your way out," she said. She was quick to close the door behind him as he left.

Leslye didn't see the locksmith board his brightly painted van and pull out of the Pace-Larrimore-Stern parking garage. She didn't see the van turn at the end of the first block, ease to the curb, and stop.

Where the van stopped, the Windbreaker Man sat on a bus stop bench. The locksmith dangled a set of keys. Windbreaker rose from the bench, approached the van, and exchanged a money-size envelope for the dangled keys.

A happy locksmith drove away. Windbreaker flipped the new keys in his palm and strolled away, whistling "Your Cheatin' Heart."

Twilight had come to Clarice's Beauty World as well. Silvie folded towels from the washer/dryer in the back room while Clarice locked all the doors at the front of the shop. No one else remained in the building.

Anyone looking in the shop's picture window would have seen two vastly different women. Clarice wore a shirtwaist dress, shop logo smock, and nurse's shoes. Silvie wore a Madison Avenue suit and high platform heels. And she didn't appear to know much about folding laundry.