puppy

Finley's P.O.V

Eli rested his chin on my shoulder, watching me wash the dishes at four in the morning.

"What are you doing?" He asked, bringing his arms around to rest on my tummy. I didn't have a huge baby bump, but I was definetely showing, and Eli liked to rest his hands on my stomach. 

"Washing the dishes," I answered.

I could feel his lips press onto my bare shoulder; I was wearing a tank top. "That's my job," he said lowly. "You cook, I clean."

"I couldn't sleep," I shrugged.

"Why not?"

"I dunno, I just couldn't get comfortable," I said.

Eli paused for a second before scooping me up. I squealed and hit his arm, trying to get him to put me down. 

"We are going to cuddle, and we are going to watch The BreakfastClub until you fall asleep," he said.

"I do love that movie," I mumbled.

"Exactly," Eli set me down and sat on the couch next to me.

I tucked into his side, resting my head on his shoulder and tucking my feet under me. Eli's arm went around my shoulders and I felt very warm and comfortable. He turned on the movie, and i got distracted by watching him.

He was holding my hand in his free one, absently rubbing circles on the back and he was focused on the movie, pausing and frowning along with the characters, as if he hadn't see this movie a hundred times. I could seethe hole where his lip ring and I found my eyes tracing his features, his jawline, his nose, cheekbones, and his eyes.

I loved his eyes. They were a lovely shade of green, something between the sea and the grass and they changed with his moods. When he was happy, they sparkled like emeralds, when he was angry they looked like poison, when he was concerned, they crinkled around the sides and turned a little darker, when he was sad, you couldn't see them all, as they were either closed or glossy with tears.

Eli glanced at me to catch me staring at him. I was too tired to blush.

"Whatcha looking at?" His voice was low.

"You," I answered.

His eyebrow quirked. "Me? Why?"

"You're so cute," I said. "I love your eyes. They sparkle when you're happy."

"Then they must always sparkle around you," he said cheesily. "Because I'm always happy around you."

"I love you," I said.

"I love you too," Eli said, leaning down and kissing me.

We both fell asleep on each other before the movie finished.

...

I was in the kitchen when Ace barreled into the kitchen, slipped on the hardwood floor and crashed into my legs. I didn't fall, but my legs did buckle. 

I looked down at Ace disapprovingly. He wagged his tail and looked up at me hopefully. Ace was now five years old, and he had grown into quite a huge black Lab. He still thought he was a puppy, and often tried to climb into my lap and cuddle. Usually, I didn't mind but since I got pregnant, his weight would crush my stomach. He had stayed with my parents for the last couple days so Eli and I could get a break. I was tirdd a lot, and having an excitable huge dog around wasn't helping me any.

"Eli?" I called.

The man in question came around the corner. "I stopped by your parents' to get him. They seemed quite relieved to see him go, and your mom says to tell you to call her."

I nodded and returned to the dishes I was washing. Isudenly caught a whiff of something diagusting. 

"What is that?" I asked, turning around and wrinkping my nose.

Eli held up a bad of McDonald's. "I stopped by and got us some dinner. I figured you'd be hungry."

And usually, I would love it if Eli brought me McDonald's, but right now all I felt like was puking. He set the bag on the counter and I gagged, clapped a hand over my mouth and ran to the bathroom.

I hunched over the toilet and just managed to get the lid open before I puked. The lunch I had came back up, and my stomach felt like it was trying to squeeze out of my esophagus. I felt a hand on my back and Eli was there, rubbing back and holding my hair back.

I leaned against him and brought a hand to my forehead. Hd handed me a tissue and I wiped my mouth.

"What was that?" I asked. "I didn't even get morning sickness."

"Sometimes when women are pregnant, their senses are heightened and normal things make them feel like puking," Eli explained quietly.

I slumped against him and then felt a cold nose in my hand. Ace was next to me, his eyes bright and he wagged his tail when he noticed I was looking at him. I pet his head and scratched behind his ears and Ace rewarded me with a long lick up my cheek.

"Hey," Eli told him. "She's mine, buddy, we talked about this."

Despite the fact that I had just puked, I smiled. Eli was always telling Ace to leave me alone; that I was his. Eli was an adorable idiot, just like Ace.

Ace gave Eli a dry look and tried to wedge his way between us, and managed to get his front paws and head in my lap. He shot Eli a superior look.

"We're going to have a baby," I told Ace quietly. "A little boy or girl. Do you want a little baby to protect and cuddle with?"

Ace's expression said that he would like that very much.