CHAPTER THREE

Run For Your Life

After school I told Erin I felt too ill to go for coffees. I just wanted to go home, get changed and go for a run. So I got in my Jeep, drove home and parked it as quickly as possible. To my absolute displeasure Mum and Martin were home and their tacky estate car lay in the drive, blocking my usual space.

I got out my Jeep, and began to lock it as I fought with my bag that refused to stay placed on my shoulder when I saw a woman on Robert’s porch watering a tub of red flowers. She was absolutely stunning. Her golden brown hair fell down her back and when she moved it looked like waves moving towards the shore. She had a pretty face with almost golden eyes like Roberts. So I assumed that it must have been Viola. I guessed this not only because of the eyes but she just reminded me of him. She was wearing a leather jacket, a blue silk shirt underneath, tight black trousers, and an amazing pair of boots.  Not that silk shirts and heeled boots were something Robert wore…

“Ciao bella, I’m Viola, You must be Carmen. Robert told me we had neighbours.” Viola greeted me from her porch. I was mesmerized by her grace and beauty as she walked down the steps towards me.

“Hi, yeah I’m Carmen.” I babbled like an idiot as I tried not to feel like a mouldy potato next to a beautiful swan.

“Nice to meet you Carmen,” She smiled warmly. I thought she could only be in her early twenties and she was obviously really nice. God, I would’ve killed to look half as beautiful as her.

“Nice to meet you too, welcome to the neighbourhood.” I beamed my best attempt of an equally perfect smile to her whilst walking towards my door. As soon as I got through my door I heard Mum complaining over the concentration of a cleaner or something. I didn’t want to make chit chat with her so I ran up the stairs hoping not to make too much noise so I wouldn’t be noticed. I pulled on my black shorts and my grey hoodie on over my top and shoved my running shoes onto my feet, grabbed my iPod and set off out the door waving to my mother as she moaned about me for not telling her I was home and headed towards the woods.

Running through the woods was prettiest when the sun was setting in the summer but it was the beginning of winter therefore it was getting dark and really cold fast. So after an hour of out running my problems I turned on the next corner of the trail and started off home. As I passed the start of the woods I slowed down to catch my breath and doubled-over. Lately I hadn’t been able to work out as often as I used to due to the amount of the extra work we’d been assigned it was ridiculous.

“Where can I go that you aren’t also at?” A familiar voice mocked from above me.

I looked up from the floor to greet Robert’s cool grin as he took in my sweaty appearance. Robert was obviously running too by his clothing choice but he didn’t look the least bit affected by the workout.

 “Actually I come here all the time. I’m starting to think you’re stalking me again.” I said pretty pleased with my answer. He just laughed at me and continued to watch me as I struggled for my breath. 

“So, are you going home now?” He asked after a moment of controlling his laughter.

“Yes,” I answered, turning off my music and pulling the earphones out.

“Me too, would you like to run back with me?” He offered me his hand to rise from the ground I’d crumbled to. “But if you’d rather we could walk…” He laughed by himself.

“Shut up,” I sighed trying not to giggle.

We started off slow, matching each-other’s pace. But Robert didn’t look bothered at all by the exercise because he was breathing perfectly normal and wasn’t sweating at all really apart from the small beads that had formed on his forehead. After a while I got a bit sick of his showing off and a little competitive. Like a child I was really eager to beat him so I ran a little faster than him because I couldn’t let him win. But he managed to get in front of me with ease. It was obvious he was going to win and we both knew it. There was only one thing I could do. And it was to cheat and I knew exactly how to do it.

“Ow!” I groaned clutching my ankle desperately, causing Robert to stop dead in his tracks.

“What’s wrong?! Let me see!” Robert panicked his voice full of concern as he came running back to me.

As soon as he was on his knees examining my ankle I started to sprint off as fast as my legs would go. It now felt like a child’s game of tag as I ran with my arms flying out at my sides and my girlish giggling echoing around us as he chased me laughing.

“You cheater!” He called after me laughing at my behaviour. Once again though he caught up in seconds as he matched my sprint with little effort. We were both joking about and talking about our lives when we got back our street. In an attempt of making the walk last longer I told him I knew a shortcut to our street which actually was a detour that would last another half an hour.

“I’m sorry I tricked you.” I beamed at him happily.

“It’s okay, I beat you anyway.” He teased looking at the floor.

“Oh, is that what you think?” I argued playfully. I could see him smiling at me again and I realised how much I wanted to kiss Robert in that moment. I couldn’t help it. Like I said before, it just felt right being with him. And the fact that those eyes practically made my heart stop every time I was with him didn’t help.

“I have two things I want to say to you Carmen. One, thank you for the most fun I’ve had in so many years. You’re certainly not the worst company in the world. And the second well the second is… would you like to accompany me to the Mayor’s ball Carmen Shaw?” He asked me nervously, his accent become more clear as he ran his long fingers through his tangled dark hair. I couldn’t help but laugh anxiously as I watched the goofy side of Roberto Paolini shine as he risked embarrassment.

“It would be my honour,” I giggled sheepishly trying to avoid my personal weakness which happened to be his wickedly beautiful gaze.

“Okay then, I’ll see you tomorrow morning?” He nodded towards me awkwardly.

“Goodnight Robert,” I mumbled, unable resist getting a last look into his eyes.

“Goodnight Carmen.” He whispered in his husky tone, before we both started walking up to our doors smirking to each other before we stepped inside our doorways.