Chapter 19

"No one told me grief felt so much like fear" - C.S. Lewis

So 3,161 reads! I can't believe it. Thank you so much guys and I just want to let u know that I will be doing a sequel to this story which will be based on Season 3. I'll let u all know what the title will be at a later date. So chapter 19, let's go! xx

I couldn't take the scene in. A walker was tearing into Dale's stomach and his face was contracted into a mixture of shock and pain. As I took a step to kill the walker, someone flew past me at full speed, tackled the walker and dragged it off Dale. It was Daryl! I noticed the short matted dark brown hair. He pushed the walker to the ground and stabbed it in the head.

I rushed to Dale's side and dropped to my knees. I looked horrified at the extent of his wounds. And instantly, I knew I couldn't do anything to save him. He looked at me, eyes wide and staring. He started to whisper something despite being in so much pain.  And I knew what he was going to ask: "Please  save me."

As he did, I sadly shook my head, and the words, the plea died on his lips. I started crying then, I felt useless and annoyed with myself that I couldn't help Dale. And I so wanted to so much. Daryl crept to my side and studied Dale's wounds. "Shit." He whispered and looked up and caught my eyes.

"Can we do anything? Can Hershel?" I asked tearfully.

Daryl grimanced. "I don't know, Ang." He replied gravely and then he started shouting urgently for help. I watched heplessly as Dale suddenly went into shock.

"Oh, god. Daryl, he's goin' into shock." I whispered.

"Hold on, Angel. They're comin'." He replied and  I heard the sadness in his voice.

I held Dale's hand and smiled gently at him. "You hear that, Dale? Rick and the others are comin'. You'll be alright. Just hold on, kay?" I said quietly trying to reassure him.

He nodded and grimaced in pain. My heart wrenched for him. Please don't die or turn, Dale. I can't loose you too.

I heard the stampede of people running behind me and turned my head. Rick and the group arrived. Andrea screamed in terror as she saw Dale. She dropped to her knees beside me and burst into tears. I knew how she felt.

I turned my head and looked at Hershel. "Please, please help him." I begged him. But Hershel shook his head sadly. "He can't be saved. The wounds are too deep." He replied gravely.

I sobbed even harder. Then I turned to Cori. "Cori?" I asked hopefully but she shook her head too. "Sorry, Angel, I can't do anything. It's too late."

I turned to Rick. "Rick, you have to help." But when Rick shook his head, I just lost it. "PLEASE, JUST FUCKIN' DO SOMETHING!" I screamed and cried, tears streaming down my face.

Rick ignored my plea and just unholstered his gun, deciding Dale's fate silently. Oh,no. Please not this. Anything but this.

But I know that what has to be done must be done. I don't want Dale turning like Amy or Sophia

Rick drew his gun but we could all see him hesitating. He couldn't do it, that was clear. So Daryl did the unexpected and silently took the gun. I closed my eyes, not wanting to see this. I stood up but my knees buckled and I nearly fell. Suddenly I felt a pair of strong arms grip my sides and steady me. I opened my eyes and turned my head, curious. It was Caleb! He smiled gravely at me and pulled me into his arms. I cuddled into him and laid my head on his shoulders, still crying. I felt his arms lock around me protectivley for some reason. I turned my head away as Daryl proceeded to shoot Dale.

As I looked behind Caleb's shoulder, I caught sight of Shane frowning. He was standing behind the group, mysterious for some reason. Did he have anything to do with this. I knew he hated Dale as much as he hated me. I couldn't think right now.