Chapter 7

Chapter 7

 Sorry this has taken so long to update. I'm being inspired by the current season of Walking Dead so enjoy. More chapters to come.

Lori suddenly began to panic. “Why was it just one gunshot?” she asked rhetorically. I asked myself the same question, I knew Rick would never waste a bullet to kill one walker.

Carol agreed with her. “They should have caught up with us by now.” She pointed out, concerned. Daryl scoffed, and brandished his crossbow. “It could just have been someone huntin’ he said. “Come on, let’s move.” He commanded. I was unsure, but I didn’t want to worry anyone else.

I hung back, trying to comfort Carol with Andrea. Andrea forced a smile to Carol. “Sophia will be fine. You’ll see.” She soothed. Carol nodded but expressed her worries. “I’m just keep thinking I don’t want Sophia to end up like Amy. It’s the not knowin’ that’s killin’ me she admitted while crying.

Andrea’s face went dark as Carol spoke Amy’s name. I went quiet as I remembered her bright face laughing with me about Daryl and Merle in the RV. Carol saw Andrea’s reaction as well and instantly backpedalled. “I’m sorry.” She said. Andrea smiled and told her not to worry, but I knew that she was fighting hard not to break down again. Daryl noticed us and swiftly stepped in to console her. But not in the way I was expecting. More in a blunt, direct way. “It’s a waste of time, all this hopin’ and prayin’.  We’re gonna locate that little girl; she’s gonna be just fine. Isn’t there any Zen around here? Good lord.” He scolded us and returned to leading us, calling me to his side. I followed. As much as I loved Daryl, he did get on my nerves sometimes. But I never wanted him to change.

We were walking through the forest exactly 100 yards from the highway when suddenly a lone walker appeared and attacked Andrea, who was at the back. We heard her screams and ran to help her, where the walker had her pinned her to the ground. She was struggling, trying to fight it off. But as it was going to bite her, a horse galloped out of the bush carrying a tall brunette woman. The woman knocked the walker off Andrea by hitting it with a baseball bat. Andrea crawled away, shaking and me and Glenn helped her up.

The woman asked for Lori and Lori nodded, to show it was her. “You need to come with me urgently. Carl’s been shot.” Lori gasped. I put my hand over my mouth, shocked. “What?” I gasped.

“Rick needs you, just come!” The woman said. Glenn and I looked on, dumbfounded. Lori tore off her backpack despite Daryl’s objections. “Whoa, whoa, whoa. We don’t know this girl. You can’t git on that horse!” he protested.

“Shut up, Daryl!” I said, annoyed. He glared at me and I glared at him right back. Lori didn’t take any notice and jumped on the horse. The woman rattled off directions to a farm that she lived on to Glenn.

Glenn nodded to show he understood and the woman and Lori galloped off to the farm.

“I can’t believe it.” I said, my voice quivering. Daryl gruffly put an arm around my shoulder. I smiled up at him, his eyes were kind and he forgave me for telling him to shut up.

Suddenly the walker rose, moaning. Daryl shot an arrow into its head. “Shut up!” he scolded it. Glenn shrugged. “Well, we better get back to Dale and T-Dog and tell them.” We all nodded and continued on to the highway.

Dale met us at the ridge barrier. “What happened? Where’s Rick and the others.” He asked Glenn.

“Carl got shot.” Glenn told him. Dale looked shocked. “How? What happened?” he pressed him.

“Look, all I know is that this girl showed up like Zorro on a horse and took Lori.” Glenn exclaimed, panting as he climbed over the barrier.

Dale looked confused. “You let her?” he asked Daryl.