-PRE-WEDDING SCENES-

Start from the beginning

Her enormous figure stopping before me snapped me out of my thoughts immediately.

"Oh Aditi does it show?" she asked.

"Um...what shows?" I enquired.

My stare at her had probably not gone unnoticed as she went on to explain; "I've been going through a cumbersome weight loss regime you know...he charges fifty thousand a year..." Like that information was needed! , "....I caught you staring at me so I'm sure it shows..." she paused, " I have lost two kilos." She beamed.

Right.

And what was I supposed to say to that?

"Yes yes aunty. It totally shows. I mean that's exactly what I was seeing so intently..." Can someone please get me out of here? , ".....like look at you now. Wow."

She grinned from ear to ear at that compliment.

It's so amusing how one fake compliment can make someone so happy.

"So pretty you've become...." she said in her typical Punjabi accent; which gave away that she was from Arjun's side; as she cupped my face tightly with both her palms to the extent of crushing my jaw, "....hmm...Disha is all set, when do you plan on tying the knot?"

There. She'd dunned me with the traditional and forbidden question.

I stared at her blankly as I felt the patience within me snap.

Couldn't they just leave me and my relationship status alone?

A smirk reached her lips as my silence seemed to satisfy her. In her twinkling eyes I could see the whole lot of gossip she was weaving.

And you know what I felt like doing that instant?

I wanted to take that extensively draped pallu of her sari that was mopping the floor for free and choke her to death.

Not just her, but every damned aunty in the wedding hall who had asked me when I was getting married.

"Um..." I still fumbled; as I tried to say something that was not very impolite for a reply. Sue me for being taught manners to the point of self-destruction by my two morally impeccable parents!

"...Aditi! You're here? I've been searching for you everywhere!" I heard a familiar voice say from the background.

Perfect timing Aakash! She'll now have enough gossip to last her the entire wedding ceremony!

"Um...why?" I asked sheepishly, trying to avoid any conversations as I saw a smirk emerging on the Aunty's face.

He'd probably not noticed the woman before, but when he did, he stopped as; a look of realization marred his features and he declared;

"Rashi aunty is searching for you."

Is he serious or making something up? Ma can call me if she wants to see me, right?

I gave him a quick thankful glance anyway as I muttered;

"Aunty I have to..."

"...yes yes. You both carry on." She said coyly and merrily walked over to her group of aunties with the latest gossip about Aakash and I.

Oh joy.

I couldn't wrap my head around whether I was happy for Aakash rescuing me or annoyed at the gossip that would soon circulate about us.

Especially when I knew the chances of the gossip ever coming true were very few.

I snapped out from my chain of thoughts when I felt a familiar touch on my palm. "Come with me." Aakash huffed softly; as he pulled me with him.

"Aakash." I called out; "I have to take those flowers to Mala aunt-"

"-already done."

I shut up at that; only to start again; "I have to go talk to the pandit ji about the final ceremony and I-"

"-shh." He stated suddenly; his finger on my lips. My eyes widened at his proximity; as I tried hard to focus on breathing.

Quit acting like a teenager Aditi!

"I know you're busy and you want to help everybody; but you need to eat something first."

My breath hitched; as I stood motionlessly without a reply. His face broke into a subtle smile, before his fingers laced with mine and he guided me through the crowd to God knows where. My mind was in no state to think of the logistics.

I sat down on the closest chair upon his order and watched as he pushed through the crowd to get me food. Despite the usualness of it all, my heart warmed at his gesture.

He'd always been this caring.

But then why did this feel like so much more now since the past few months?

It was only when I ate up all that was there on my platter; which had a samosa and two jalebis; that I realized just how hungry I'd been.

"Thanks." I mumbled softly; as a smile touched his lips.

"You're most welcome."

But when I rose to leave, his hand gripped my wrist impulsively, clearly wanting to ask me something,

"What?" I queried;

"What was that Aunty bugging you about?"

"My marriage." I informed nonchalantly; only to have him give out a hearty laugh; the usual laugh of his that crinkled the edges of his eyes and made them glisten with an emotion that was both breath-taking and distracting.

"And what did you say?" he questioned, now a little quiet and sceptical.

"You came at the right time."

His gaze remained steady on mine for the next few seconds as he went on to ask; "What are your plans though? About marriage?"

You should know.

"I'm not settling down any time soon."

"Career?" he posed cautiously.

Why did we have to behave like there was nothing between us?

"I should get going Aakash." And with that, without waiting for a response from him, I scurried off to the completely opposite direction.

***

A/N

HELLO EVERYONE.

So this is my first romance/ drama on wattpad and I'm really excited.

Do vote and comment if you liked the chapter, helps me know if it is any good. :)

~kimayaa a.k.a. Ankita

 Ankita