Chapter 3: The Billion Dollar Boss

The inside of the apartment was not to disappoint. Large floor to ceiling windows covered one side of the wall, giving me a breathtaking view of the tall buildings in New York. The living room was small but cosy, with a cream coloured couch facing directly at the window, elegant lamps were placed at various tables, and a dining table for six were placed next to the living room. The kitchen was very modern and comfortable to work in, with large bench tops and a mirror backdrop behind the stoves. I squealed in happiness, as cooking and baking was one of my favourite things to do to pass time. My stomach grumbled loudly at the thought of eating, and I decided to explore the rest of the apartment later, after I feed the hungry monster that's called my stomach.

I opened the fridge, surprised to see it all stocked with the necessities, and a note from Felicity telling me that she had stocked my fridge. That girl is an angel and I've never even met her once. I quickly pulled out all the ingredients for mac and cheese, deciding to treat myself for making it to New York. I added a bit a pumpkin and bacon in it and voilà! I sat down on my new dining table, sighing at the savoury mac and cheese in my mouth, and the beautiful night view of New York City.

My phone pinged as a notification came through. It was mum. Hey darling, hope you are settling in well over there, please give me and your dad a FaceTime call as soon as possible! We want to know if you are alright! We miss you lots. It read. Tears filled my eyes as I felt a wave of homesickness hit me. It's the first time I've been this far away form my parents, and who knows how long I will be staying here for. I quickly typed back a reply, telling them that I will call first thigh tomorrow morning and show them around. I wiped away the remaining moisture from my eyes as another message pinged through.

(1) New message from Douchebag

I sighed dramatically. What did he want now? I clicked open the message, tears once again filling my eyes, but this time, it wasn't because of homesickness.

C'mon Lexi, I never meant to cheat on you, there were no emotional feelings between Cassie and I, and I always loved you, I swear. I made a huge mistake, I'm so sorry, please call me. It said. I angrily slammed down my phone. That little fuck boy, how does he even have the nerve to lie to me about this? Is he trying to say here that he never meant to cheat on me with my best friend for more than half a year? That is the most amount of bullshit I've ever heard in my entire life in one sentence.

All appetite for the Mac and cheese is lost, and I packed up the remaining leftovers before placing them in the fridge. I closed down my cellphone, headed into the spacious bathroom for a shower, before jumping in bed, hoping to sleep off the mood James has created in me. With the soothing lights lightly blinking at me, I fell into a deep slumber.

***
I stared nervously at my reflection. I was dressed in a white blouse which is tucked into my knee length tube skirt, a navy blazer to go over the top, and white pumps. I tied my dark hair into a neat high ponytail, gave my eyelashes some light swipes of mascara, and applied some MAC matte lipstick on my lips. I hate wearing too much makeup, and for the sake of it being my first day, I decided that a little makeup wouldn't hurt. I grabbed my purse and looked at the time.

6:30 am.

Perfect. I checked out the building where I will be working at yesterday, and found out that it was only two blocks from where I lived. I checked all the stove tops before I left, rushing out the door, wanting to get to the office with plenty of time to spare. I made my way down the two blocks, my hands shaking slightly from nerves. At this hour in the morning, plenty of people were rushing around, talking speedily into their cell phones, all dressed similar to me.

I stopped in front of a building with two glass spinning doors, and floor to ceiling glass walls. There are already many people sitting inside the couches that were nearly completely empty yesterday. I took a deep breath, and walked in through the glass door.