Alanzar Orphanage

**Edited**

The sun peeked through the gaps of my blinds as I squinted in order to read my book. I've only started Rachel Carson's book, Silent Spring,but I was already more than half way through.

I looked around the tiny room Alanzar Orphanage has given me when I first came here, nearly sixteen years ago. My tiny room was only big enough for a twin size bed, a small nightstand, a white drawer and the tiny desk that I got from Mrs. Truscott, the lady that owns the preppy yellow house down the street from the Orphanage, a few years ago at her garage sale. My walls have been painted light blue ever since I was four.

"Pennie! There are people here for you!" Ms. Ester, the Orphanage owner, rumbled downstairs.

Life at the orphanage was tediously boring with the same old quotidian routine. Every morning was a start of another slow, boring day. Miss Ester was like our mother, but completely different than that of a mother. She was in her mid-fifties and had her good days, but her bad days usually outnumbered the good ones.

"Yes, Miss Ester, I'll be right down!" I closed my book, sighing before heading downstairs to see what all the ruckus was about.

I was the oldest one at the Orphanage so I had to take half the responsibility of taking care of the three little ones that are also living here. I didn't know who my biological parents were, but I knew that they left me here when I was only two. I told myself that one day, I'd find them to ask them why they left without ever looking back.

But... I was utterly stuck here because I have no money, no plans, nothing...

"Penn! There are scary people out there looking for you!" Bella panicked as she ran towards me as soon as I stepped into the kitchen, "Penn!"

"Calm down, Bella." I smiled at her. "I'll go see what those scary men want, okay?"

"You have to be careful!" Bella looked scared out of her mind. It was so adorable that I giggled. Bella was the youngest one here, but she was honestly more mature than most.

"I know, I know. I'll be extra careful, I promise." I gave her a smile before walking out to the living room to see what men she was talking about.

"Good morning, Miss Pennie." An older man in a black tux got up from the old brown couch, the one we have had in our living room since forever, and smiled at my sight. He looked like he belonged to some sort of government agency. He even had an earpiece. 

Why would people from the government be looking for me?

"Um... Good morning..." I must have looked so dumbstruck, standing there staring at him and the two other men in black. "Who are you guys...?"

"My name is Anson Kandra, very nice to meet you." He had the warmest and friendliest smile I have ever seen in my entire life. Even though he was a stranger, something about him put me at ease. Especially since the two younger guys behind him showed no emotion on their faces.

"Hi, Mr. Kandra... Um... How may I help you...?" I was getting scared now as my voice cracked. 

"We're from the IRIS Empire, we came here as an order from Mr. Monrova to retrieve the long lost young miss Monrova." He smiled at me again; his eyes look at me sadly and longingly, like I was a family member he hadn't seen in a long time. 

"Um... I don't know who you guys are looking for but I can ask Miss Ester to come out and talk to you guys?" I was about to turn around to walk back to the kitchen but Mr. Kandra called my name. 

"Miss Pennie, we're here for you." Mr. Kandra looked at me with a serious face, as the smile disappeared. "We believe you are the long lost young miss Monrova of the IRIS empire."