Chapter Sixteen: Evolution

John Saccheri was simply not made for prison cells, particularly those within the facility on Ryker's Island. His wide, stocky build crowded the enclosed space, hence why the guards did not bother to put him in with a prison mate. He enjoyed the solitude though, left to do nothing else but read a copy of The Island of Doctor Moreau he checked out from the prison library. It was a favorite novel of his growing up. The gruesome experiments Dr. Moreau done had fascinated Saccheri to no end and, despite the story's nature of being pure science fiction, inspired him to conduct his own experimentation and research on the wonderful horrors of the world.  

              He sorely missed his Man Cave of Horrors, which had long since been neutralized by S.H.I.E.L.D. since they discovered it. There were so many horrors within his menagerie that he had yet to tap into, including Karter (a.k.a. "Mystery 29"). But, if he had continued management of it all, he would have certainly given it a new addition with the woman he encountered that night – the one with the glowing eyes that masqueraded as Natasha Romanoff.  

              Halfway through the eleventh chapter of Doctor Moreau, in which the main character "Prendick" is just about to encounter the "Ape Man," Saccheri heard panicked screams right outside his cell door. He looked away from his book and to the steel cell door that obscured whatever view he could have had of the commotion happening. The screams came from the guards; they were the only ones in the facility scouting the halls. Whatever was attacking them had them terrified; their screams were like little children, much to Saccheri's amusement.  

              Gunshots rang and there was a sound of bones snapping and flesh being torn apart, which made his mouth water. Reminds me of fried chicken, he thought of the resonance that would have sickened a weakly-constituted human being.  

              The graphic, violent noises came to a sudden end and all that remained was silence for a brief period. Soon thereafter was the vicious pounding of metal – the steel door to Saccheri's prison cell. A few imprints of human fists managed to come through the metal structure before the whole thing popped off its hinges and landed to the floor with a loud, hollowed boom. Saccheri observed with great fascination as a woman with long hair as dark as her tight, leather-clad outfit and quite the impressive build stomped her way inside. Her eyes glowed bright red, staring directly towards Saccheri.  

              "I know I should ask who and – most importantly – what you are, but I'm more grateful of such a horrific prison break." He noted how her bare forearms were soaked in the blood of the men she eradicated. Her cleavage-heavy attire raged his hormones more than the inexplicable nature of the empowering aura she carried. "Oh, how I would love to add you as a showcase to my Man Cave...if I still had one, that is."  

              "Don't worry, John." The woman told him in an eerie, echoed voice. "You've got a newer, bigger one waiting for you – and if you find me worthy as an addition, wait until you see the two new ones I've brought there."  

              Saccheri grinned with sinister glee.  

  --------------------  

              "The fire is just getting more intense in Hell's Kitchen as this gruesome alien lifeform continues its onslaught through the New York area! So far, the military and task forces haven't been able to bring this thing down! And now, an update in the chaos comes with the arrival of the new vigilant menace that goes by the name 'Spider-Man'! No doubt this 'wall-crawler' will only make matters worse than they already are! When has this masked migrant ever done any good for this ci—"