The Legacy - Part 16

Start from the beginning

Sixty-six

This morning, I awaken experiencing more nausea than I have ever felt in my life. I have only been sitting up for a moment before I immediately run to the bathroom and lose the food I ate last night.

Adagio appears at my side, rubbing my back. "Are you all right, baby?" he asks, concern etching his face.

"I think so." A sense of melancholy fills me, despite how sick I feel. "But I think I need to lie back down." I rinse and splash cold water on my face before heading back into the bedroom.

When I am settled in bed again, Adagio slips under the covers next to me. Resting my head against his chest, he holds me close, and so many thoughts tumble through my head. I am pretty sure I'm pregnant and the thought brings great comfort to me, especially now when I need it most. Though it does puzzle me a bit that I'm feeling sick so soon. In the past I was usually further along than I or the midwife suspected, but this time I know I can't be because of the month we hadn't made love. Unless it happened before Phillip's kidnapping. Some women are pregnant for months before showing the usual signs. Maybe it has happened to me this time.

Adjusting my head a little to look up at him, I ask, "Would you mind getting me a piece of toast and maybe a small glass of juice?"

"Not at all, amore." Adagio sits up and pulls on a pair of sweat pants, then he stops. He turns and looks at me, his eyes full of wonder. "Cisely?" When I smile, he knows there is no need to finish the question. Instead he asks, "Would you like me to make a trip to the store, too?"

"I think that's a good idea."

He leans over to kiss me. "I love you."

"And I love you."

He grins and I chuckle. Dressing quickly, he brings me the toast and juice. Then making sure I have everything I need, he grabs the car keys and leaves.

Twenty minutes later we both laugh and cry as we examine the positive test result. Adagio hugs me tightly and happiness fills a part the empty space in my heart.

 * * * 

Dublin, Georgia

Sadie enters the house and find Gladys passed out in the chair as usual. She never bothers to enter quietly because Gladys usually sleeps so hard, no amount of noise ever wakes her up. Sadie stands for a moment looking at the grossly overweight woman and her contempt grows.

She is tired of this whole situation and wants her home back. She's fed up with having to pick up after this woman, and tired of spending her entire shift every day worrying about the little boy in the back room. Each time she leaves the house, Sadie prays he will be all right until she gets back. Gladys is supposed to be his grandmother, but she acts like he doesn't even exist most of the time. And Sadie wonders what kind of mother would just dump her child off on someone and leave, if that's what really happened.

Taking her purse and coat to her room, she hurries to check on Michael. Thoughts of him have consumed her throughout the day and she couldn't get home fast enough, needing to make sure he was okay. She muses over how motherly she has become. How has she become so attached to this child? He's never spoken, yet she can feel his sadness. She can see it in his eyes, and she would give anything to see him smile, just once.

When Sadie reaches the bedroom, she cracks the door open slightly and freezes, unable believe what she is seeing. The sight she beholds is as much of a shock as a surprise, and it immediately brings tears to her eyes.

This sweet boy is on his knees with his head bowed, praying softly. It is the first time she has heard him speak. His voice is so soft, so innocent and pure. Sadie covers her mouth with her hand, trying to muffle a sob. She knows absolutely nothing about this child, yet he has ingrained himself in her heart even more with this innocent act.