Chapter 10

Chapter 10

After I allowed Louis to give my face a makeover and take a picture of it and post it on Twitter, I sprinted to the bathroom and looked in the mirror. I raised my eyebrows. Surprisingly, he didn't do half-bad. A little thick on the lipstick and eyeshadow, but other than that I looked pretty darn good. But I washed it off anyway because my face felt a little overly sticky.

I put on my favorite pajama Spider-Man tank top and short shorts and I brushed through my hair. I hummed along to some unknown song as I did so and Liam entered the room. He watched me for a moment in amusement before saying something.

"Are you always like this?" he asked. I stopped humming and put down the brush. "Always like what?" I asked.

"Just... this," he said, gesturing to me.

I frowned. "Please elaborate," I said as I sat down on my bed. He sat down next to me.

"Well," he began. "You're always primping yourself up for things, and then you pull some pretty weird and dirty tricks. It's hard to explain."

I thought about it. Then I smiled. "Liam, I've always been like this," I said. "You've just been absent for far too long. For the next few months, I'm gonna be showing my true colors."

He chuckled. "I can't wait," he said sarcastically. "We're all watching a movie if you want to join us." He glanced at my pajamas. "Or maybe it would be better if you stayed here," he said.

I rolled my eyes. "Thanks for the tip," I said. "I think I'll stay here, thanks."

"Okay," he said and got up and left me alone.

So now I had nothing to do for the next couple of hours. I was pretty sure that when Liam said "we're all" he meant the whole crew except for Harry. I shrugged to myself. Eh, why not? That kid needed to socialize more.

I left me and Liam's room and knocked on Louis' and Harry's door. No answer for a moment. Then:

"Louis, I know you're there," Harry said. "And no, I don't want to talk. I already told you, I just want to be alone."

"Um, wrong person," I said. "It's Lily, actually." Another moment of silence. "I hope you're not naked in there," I added, feeling strange talking to a door. "Cause I'm coming in." More silence. So apparently Harry's mute once again. Well, not for long. I opened the door and came inside.

Harry was facing the wall, and didn't turn around when I entered. "Um, hello?" I said tentatively. This was so awkward. Harry only nodded. I decided just to be me. After all, who could resist the Lily?

"Liam wanted to know if we wanted to join him and the others in watching a movie," I chirped. "Do you want to?"

A shake of the head.

"That's cool," I said. "I didn't really want to either." Ugh, I sounded like I was agreeing with him. Like, I was only agreeing with him because I... liked him. And I didn't! You girls should know what I mean.

"Why are you in my room?" Harry asked the wall. It didn't respond, so I assumed he was talking to me.

"Does it matter?" I asked.

"Yes," he said stiffly. "Ever heard of the word 'privacy'?"

"Yes."

Silence from both of us. I whistled just to break the awkwardness. Sheesh, this boy knew how to make someone feel uncomfortable.

"Privacy please," he suddenly snapped and I jumped a little. "Geez, no need to snap," I said. "I'm right behind you."

"I don't care. Leave now."

I kind of wanted to, but annoying people is just one of my many talents. I wanted to annoy him until he finally looked at me and we could have a proper conversation.

"Do you want to talk?" I asked.

"No."

"Well, I do," I retorted and went so far as to sit next to him. He still didn't look at me, but he visibly tensed. Interesting.

"Why are you so desolate?" I asked. "You're like a hermit. You're not the Harry I saw in all of those videos."

"Don't trust everything you see," he said gruffly.

"Is it because of Taylor?" I blurted out. "Seriously, man, you need to get a grip. She was a bad choice anyway. You're better off without her. You need to lighten up."

"Shut up," he said sharply, and I was stunned. Did he just tell me to shut up?! Oh no, he didn't!

"What's it to you?" he added. "It's me and Taylor's relationship, not yours. Keep your nose where it belongs, not in everyone's business. And no, this isn't about Taylor."

"Liar," I accused. He was seriously getting on my nerves not looking at me.

"I told you to shut up!" he said loudly. His words really stung. What did I ever do to him?! Oh, shut up about those stupid worms already!

"Be a man and look at me then," I taunted him. "What, are you scared that you're going to be stunned by my epic beauty?"

He snorted. "As if," he declared and turned to look at me.

I was sitting much closer to him than I thought. I could lean forward a couple of inches and our foreheads would be literally touching. I think we were actually breathing on each other.

Typically, I breath through my nose and not my mouth, and I could smell his breath. Weirdly, it smelled nice. I wondered if he was eating Nutella recently.

He was stiffer than a board, and I think he was even trembling. What's with him? Was he sick?

"Have you been eating Nutella?" I asked randomly.

He frowned. "No, why?" he asked. We temporarily forgot about our argument.

"It's just that--" I started to say but I broke off. I didn't want to sound weird. Or at least be weirder than I already was. "Forget it," I muttered and scooted back. There, now the space between us was more appropriate.

"Well, now I'm looking at you," Harry said. "Now leave please."

I didn't really argue. I stood up and made my way towards the door. I was about to close it, when I decided I had to make sure. I looked back. Harry was staring at the wall again.