Chapter 10

And then, there was panic.

Everyone was already in or on their way to the dining hall, but suddenly being told that they weren't allowed out had sent a spark of concern around the students. When the great double doors opened and Eldrin walked myself and Sam into the room, I felt all eyes watching us.

Professor Avis had been the first to Professor Moñento's classroom after Sam and I, and she stared just as we had done at the hole in the wall, tears filling her eyes. Then Fulmen had arrived, his expression so solemn I knew Moñento was really gone. Maybe for good. Then he'd taken Professor Avis by the hand and said something to her very quietly, so neither Sam or I could hear. She'd changed, and flown out of the hole. Sam stared after her, clearly shocked at seeing her in her owl form, but there was no real room for this new surprise, and he didn't say a word as the other teachers and a few students began to gather around the classroom entrance. Fulmen told everyone to go to the hall. I'd never seen him so serious looking. The brightness in his eyes was all but extinguished.

Professor Eldrin had taken charge of the situation until Fulmen returned. I'd stuck with Sam the whole time, and hadn't seen Amber, Holly or Joe at all. We hadn't said a word. There was nothing to say.

Then Professor Fulmen walked in, and a hush spread through the hall like a wave.

 "Earlier tonight, one of our own was taken. We have suffered not only a breach of security, but a breach of peace. I do not believe in concealing anything from our students, and you all have the right to know that we are treating the disappearance of Professor Sana Moñento as a malicious kidnapping. We don't know who the perpetrators are, but be assured that we will find them. And we will get her back. Until then, I must ask you to return to your dormitories. Dinner will be re-scheduled for an hours time to allow the other teachers and myself to collect ourselves after this event. Please leave the hall in an orderly manner."

There was a moment of continued silence after he finished speaking. Then the noise of a thousand students trying to quietly leave all at once - which really isn't so quiet. I looked at Sam.

"Guess we'd better go then." He said, but then his eyes swivelled to something over my shoulder.

"Not you two. Professor Fulmen needs to talk to you." It was Eldrin. She put her hands on our shoulders and guided us through the sea of students to the head table at the back, where Fulmen and the other Professor's were stood in small groups.

I noticed Dr Owens, my law teacher, was comforting Professor Holiday, who was crying and speaking in the unintelligible tongue of a woman in distress. She was clearly very shaken. Some of the other teachers looked on the edge of crying, but most seemed stone-faced and solemn - perhaps it was just shock.

 Professor Fulmen spotted us approaching and broke away from the group he'd been speaking to. It was so strange to see him without his usual smile.

"Rainbow, Samson. I trust you realise just how grave a situation this is?" I nodded silently, but Sam replied.

"Yes Professor Fulmen, of course we do." He sounded so much more mature, like he'd just aged about five years. I felt like such a kid, just nodding along to whatever the adults were saying. The Professor continued, barely skipping a beat.

"Then you will understand that as the first to the scene of the...incident, you are the closest we have to witnesses. I must ask you to recount exactly what happened, and exactly what you saw before Professor Avis and myself arrived." Sam responded instantly, recounting the story. Again, all I could do was nod along.

"Then we saw the note on the floor, and seconds later Professor Avis arrived."

"Yes, the note. Tell me, does it mean anything to you at all?" The Professor looked at us with narrowed eyes. I didn't know how to respond, why should it mean anything to us?