Chapter 8

I sat up quickly. The fog had gone, but my vision was still hazy and my head felt like it was being split in two. I clutched at it helplessly.

"Woah there Rainbow, lie back down and rest for a few more seconds, you need to get your bearings." It was Professor Moñento. I did as she told me, and staring at the high, white ceiling realised that I wasn't in the hallway anymore. "You're in the infirmary Rainbow, I'm afraid you blacked out and fell unconscious for a little while. Here, drink this." I took the mug she proffered and took a sip, expecting the worst. The taste was cool and herby, and it seemed to get warmer as it passed down my throat into my stomach. My headache weakened with every sip. "Thank you." I said, pathetically as she busied herself around the room. I noticed it was big - very big in fact, with at least fifty or so beds on the black and white tiled floor. I was currently the only patient though. I actually passed out? This was so embarrassing.

"It's been almost two hours now Rainbow, so I'm very glad to see you conscious again." Moñento was back, smiling down at me warmly. "I promise I shan't keep you long, everyone's just gone in for lunch and I know you won't want to miss that. No better cure after a faint than food, and that's slightly beyond my power. Speaking of which, how's the headache?"

"Still sore, but much better after that drink." but I had barely finished before the Professor placed her palm onto my head and closed her eyes. I saw that her palm had begun to glow slightly with a warm orange light, and my headache melted away like ice.

"You're a healer?" I asked once she'd removed her hand. She nodded. "You can imagine the interesting accidents and ailments we receive in this place, a healer is always useful so I double as a nurse and a Professor."

I sat myself up a little, and Moñento ran over to move the cushions behind my back. I noticed the embroidered cross tattoo again. She noticed.  "There you go...do you like it?" She said, smiling. "It's beautiful. Did you draw it?" I asked, admiring it's design. She shook her head. "My husband is a tattoo artist - that's how we met. He said I was the most patient customer he'd ever had, and I was so quiet it was like it didn't hurt a bit! I didn't tell him that I was healing myself the entire time until our third date." She looked wistfully into the air. "He buys me five red roses every Friday and lays them on the bed for me to see when I get home." she said, pointing out each of the five red roses that entangled the cross.

"You don't live in the Academy then? I thought all the teachers did?"

"No I don't live here. I have...special circumstances, and Headmaster Fulmen is kind enough to let me commute from further in the city." Special circumstances? She smiled at me again, and I glimpsed into her eyes before she busied herself in the room once again. I read the thought most prominent in her mind.

Her husband was a non-mutant. What was so special about that circumstance? Or was it forbidden amongst the mutant community? God I had a lot to learn. I noted it in the back of my head to ask Holly later - she was deeply interested in Mutant politics and bound to know.

"How long do you want to keep me Professor?" I asked, noticing my stomach rumble. "Just another fifteen minutes or so Rainbow, just to make sure you've fully regained consciousness and there aren't any lasting effects. You may get a bit of a bump, but I've reduced the chance of swelling." called the voice, echoing around the empty infirmary. Another noise echoed around the room - the sound of the door opening. In stepped a tall and smartly dressed woman, with flowing red hair and features that anyone would describe as beautiful.

"Professor Motus, how can I help?" smiled Moñento, appearing tiny in comparison to the woman I now knew was Professor Motus. "Sana, I was just on my way to the dining hall for lunch and wondered if you wanted to join...oh, I see you have a patient, I do apologise." Her voice was too melodious, so sweet it was practically dripping with honey. It didn't seem real! Then I remembered her strong affiliation with Cassie. If that was the sort of student she liked, it probably wasn't real. She turned to me and smiled a sickly smile. "Rainbow Arcus, would I be correct in presuming?" I nodded my head.