Chapter Nine

"Sheriff, how did this happen?" Bianca asked with misty eyes as she, Edward and the sheriff sat at the kitchen table. Catherine was still unconscious on the living room couch.

"Well ma'am, some bandits attacked the train thinking that there was money on board I guess. They murdered everyone on board and then burned the train leaving us with no bodes to return to the families." he replied taking a sip of the bitter coffee that Bianca had made. He tried to keep a straight face as he swallowed the horrible stuff and sat his cup back on the table.

"I am really sorry about this. Do you want me to get the doctor out here to have a look at her?" he asked. Bianca shook her head.

"No, that won't be necessary." she said. "I will take care of her." Bianca knew this was her chance to take care of her big sister the way Catherine had always taken care of her.  She just hoped her sister would be able to move on without Emmett. Bianca could hardly believe that Emmett was gone. He had been a part of their lives, their entire lives and now he was just gone….

"If you ladies need anything don't hesitate to ask. Out here we take care of each other." Richard said standing up and walking toward the door.

"Thank you, sheriff." Edward said. "I'll walk you out." The two men left the house.

"Bianca! Bianca, where are you!" Catherine yelled from the sitting room. Bianca jumped up and ran to her sister.

"I'm here, Catherine. I'm right here." she said. Catherine was sitting up in her dirty clothes and apron. Her tears had made trails down her dirty face and Bianca could see the desperation in her eyes.

"He's gone, Bianca. Emmett is gone."

"I know." Bianca replied trying to sound strong.

"What am I going to do?" Catherine broke down again. "What am I going to do without him?" Bianca held her sister tightly in her arms as Catherine sobbed. Bianca felt tears running down her own cheeks as well and tried to stop them. Her sister had always been strong for her.  Now was her chance to be strong for her sister.

"You are going to pick yourself up and keep going." Bianca replied. "Emmett would not have wanted this to stop you from living happily."

"But how can I live happily without him?" Catherine asked desperately. Bianca smiled at her sister and pushed a stray strand of her blond hair behind her ear.

"I don't know." she replied honestly. "It will take time I suppose. I'm going to go get Edward to come sit with you and then I'll go upstairs and heat you a bath and lay you out a gown to sleep in. You can get cleaned up and rest for a while."

"Bianca, can I ask you a favor?"

"I'll do whatever I can." Bianca replied.

"Can I have your room? I just do not want to have to go back in that room where he and I…. That was supposed to be our room." Catherine said. Bianca hugged her again.

"Of course I will. While you take a bath Edward and I will move all of your things into my room and I'll take yours." Bianca looked at her sister and felt fear creep into her. Catherine's eyes, which moments ago had looked sad and desperate, now were blank and lifeless. Her face held no expression.

"You are going to be okay, Catherine." Bianca said just as much to reassure herself as her sister. She got up and walked onto porch to find Edward standing there looking to be in just as much pain as she was over the loss of Emmett.

"Will you sit with Catherine while I get a bath ready?" Bianca asked. "I am worried about leaving her alone. She just looks so lost."

"Of course, Bianca." he replied. They had all decided that the formality that they had shown each other back east just didn't seem to be needed out here. "I cannot believe that this has happened."