Chapter 7: Graveyard Scene

Disclaimer: Unless Andrew Lloyd Webber himself comes to my house and sells me the rights, I DON'T OWN PHANTOM OF THE OPERA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I woke up early in the morning while Isa was still asleep. Figuring that I was the last person that Isa wanted to see, I decided to go and check on Christine. When I arrived at Christine’s door, I was met with Raoul, who was sleeping outside her door like a watchdog. To my surprise the door opened to reveal Christine herself. She tip toed past Raoul and I followed her to the stables.

“Monsieur” she said, her voice sounding scratchy as she offered a pouch to one of the stable hands.

“Where to, mademoiselle?” he asked as he took the pouch.

“The cemetery.” Christine said as she walked away again. The stable hand opened the pouch and poured the coins into his hand.

After the stable hand prepared the carriage, I snuck up behind him, knocked him out and brought the carriage to the street where I was met by Christine, wearing a black dress and a black veil over her hair. She stepped into the carriage and said “To my father’s grave, please.” I signaled the horses and we rode off. I made the horses run as quickly as I dared, knowing that the fop was sure to come after us.

We pulled up to the wrought iron gates of the cemetery and Christine stepped out and walked inside as I steered the horses around to the back of the snow-covered graveyard. Finding a place so I could climb over the gate, I climbed to the top of Gustaave Daae’s grave and waited for my angel.

I heard her long before she arrived at her father’s tomb, giving my skin goose bumps that had nothing to do with the cold.

“Wishing you were somehow here again

Knowing we must say goodbye

Try to forgive

Teach me to live

Give me the strength to try!

No more memories

No more silent tears

No more gazing across the wasted years

Help me say goodbye

Help me say goodbye!” Christine’s clear voice faded as she sung the last note and sunk down on the steps of her father’s tomb. Her shoulders were shaking as tears rolled down her pale cheeks.

“Wandering child so lost, so helpless

Yearning for my guidance!” I sang to comfort her as her angel of music once more.

“Angel or Father, Friend or Phantom,

Who is it there, staring?” she sang challenging me with the truth.

I bit my bottom lip, then sang “Have you forgotten your angel?”

“Angel oh speak!

What endless longing

Echo in this whisper!” she sang with relief in her voice.

“Too long you’ve wandered in winter,

Far from my fathering gaze.” I sang, the light inside the tomb lit and the gates opened as if on their own accord.

“Wildly my mind beats against you.” She sang.

“you resist…”

“Yet the soul obeys!” we sang together as Christine stood and started walking up the steps. “Angel of music I / you denied you / me, turning from true beauty, angel of music my protector / do not shun me, come to me / your strange angel.”

“I am your angel of music,” I sang persuading her to come closer. “Come to your angel of music…” The rest my words were cut off but Raoul galloping in, on a white horse how ironic.

“Christine wait!” he yelled, trying to get her attention.

She turned around and saw him. “Raoul!”

“Whatever you believe this man, this thing, is not your father.” He said as he drew his sword. My temper flared as I jumped from the roof of the tomb, sword drawn.

Isa’s POV

I came out from behind one of the gravestones just in time to see Erik and Raoul fighting. I had followed Erik and snuck on the back of his carriage. Both swords clanged together and I flinched adjusting the mask I had worn to the ball. “No! Erik stop it!” I yelled running to stand next to Christine. Erik didn’t look away from Raoul and continued his attack.

Christine jumped as she saw me “Who are you?!” she asked, momentarily distracted from Erik and Raoul.

“The Stained-Glass Shadow, the Phantom’s accomplice, at your service my dear.” I said taking a bow.

“but what….” Christine started, but she was cut off by a shout from Raoul. Christine and I turned in time to see Erik slice Raoul’s shoulder, turning the white shirt red.

“Erik stop it! This has gone too far!” I yelled.

“Isa?” He whispered in shock as he looked at me. In the moment that Erik was distracted Raoul tripped him causing him to fall. Raoul kicked Erik’s sword out of reach and was prepared to run him through.

“NO!” Christine and I yelled at the same time.

“No Raoul,” Christine said. “Not like this.”

Raoul looked up at her then back at Erik before sheathing his sword and walking toward his horse, taking Christine with him. Christine glanced back at me and Erik before taking Raoul’s hand and allowing herself to be pulled up on the back of Raoul’s white stallion. The horse galloped past Erik who had risen to his feet. “Now, let there be war upon you both.” He growled.