They come to a square and they pull their procession to the side. The torchbearers form a circle and someone counts down. Then they all lean their flames in at the same time and a huge fire roars to life. The crowd cheers and Volstagg's son skips back to the wagon. Once he is back on board, they proceed to the hills.

They find the same path they took the previous year. Jenna starts to feel the familiar connection as she stares at the early stars, the warm evening breeze fluttering her skirts as she rides. And then she sees the first fire flare in the distance and she starts laughing. Another fire on another hill springs to life and she can hardly keep her pace steady. Other fires pierce the sky and Volstagg urges his team faster. She is giddy. The night is perfect, beautiful, and it will only get better. She hears the first snatches of the music on their hill. The strains become clearer and the hoofbeats change to keep time to the song. When they are close enough to smell the festival, hear the laughter and the voices shouting for more wine, something changes in her heart. It is light, and everything reminds her of Midsummer Eve's past, of her mother, of dancing, of the world beyond the gates of the palace and the city. Once a year, Jenna feels entirely free.

She is not the only one, either. Hogun promises to find them at midnight and slips off with his lady the sun. Fandral grabs Sif's hand and invites her to dance. She almost denies him, but then releases herself to the music and he sweeps her into the circle. Jenna grabs her father's hand and pulls him toward the fire. Volstagg, once again a very silly bear, lumbers after his children and their friends, roaring, while his wife, elegant with her braids blue, her gown a flowing river, tends to the smallest children with some of the village women.

Loki is left beside Odin, "So. You have been here before, have you not? Last year?"

"Yes, I was."

"So tell me what I am to do."

"I spent a good amount of time last year sitting and watching people. At least until Sif dragged me into the circle. Which I recommend. If someone asks to dance, do. And forget who you are. Entirely. Let the music become your heartbeat and the people become kin. If you can do so, this is magic at its most pure. And when they call for midnight, do not forget to meet us."

Jenna comes running back for him, "Uncle! Dance!"

"Coming, my darling girl."

"Go, enjoy yourself. Revelry is for the young. I will meet you at midnight."

"Midsummer's Eve is for everyone, Father. We all move through the year together."

Hours later, a voice calls through the crowd that it is five minutes until midnight and a hush falls over the revelers. Someone calls for everyone to raise their glass to the end of the growing sun and then another toasts the dying season of the year. And then a toast is raised to the longest day, and another to the magic of the shortest night, may it bring much mirth and mischief.

The family meets near their horses. The woman in gold is with Hogun, and there is a young man dressed entirely in leaves of green with his arms around Fandral.

"So who do we speak to?" Odin asks.

Thor answers, "We find the master of the fire."

"And how do we go about finding him, my son?"

"He will be the one who calls for midnight."

They wait. A man in layers of cloaks climbs on a large ladder beside the fire. He begins a countdown. Others join him until the entire crowd, including the royal family, is shouting the seconds down to midnight.

When they reach their end, the master of the fire raises his glass and yells, "All hail the summer sun! Welcome midnight, welcome Midsummer!" The festival erupts in cheers and the music returns, louder, more boisterous.