Chapter 8: Once Promising

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Antoinette hurried with a purpose. The traveling case occupied in one hand with a flurry of skirts in the other, her pace wasn't as rushed she desired. The weight of the case slowed her down. A sheet of sweat started to form around her hairline down to her forehead. It was a miracle that she passed by security inspecting the food delivery carts through the back kitchen doors. Another miracle to have barely met any soldiers or guards wandering about. Though she assumed guards weren't meant to be posted in the servants quarters.

Passing a marbled post, she caught her breath behind it, looking over her shoulder casually for any suspicious activity. Her breath hitched in her lungs as she spotted one lone guard patrolling perpendicular to the hallway she had to next pass. She counted the number of seconds the guard took within each turn and down each segment of the hallway. If she paced it right and walked silently, she could possibly make it through the hallway and then hurry to the next pillar by the time he made a quick check on the other halls.

Antoinette tucked an arm under the case and stood by the edge of the wall. She counted his way to the other side before stepping in the crossway. Without checking her surroundings, she rushed to the other side.

Sanctuary she mentally huffed upon reaching her door.

Constance wore a mix of teal and aquamarine dress with lacing around neckline. Blonde hair splayed upwards with pale blue flowers woven around a red beaded band. She took her walk down the corridors at leisure pace. That was until an emerald green clad dressed figure bumped into her around a sharp corner.

"Whoa there!" she startled.

Antoinette, a little shooken up, grasped her heart heavily. "You gave me a fright, Constance. What news of the guards?" She caught her breath with the price of a side stitch.

Used to Antoinette's shanninagans, she reported, "Cardinal sent Jussac on raids to find you yesterday obviously. He's been searching the whole palace,"

Checked all the rooms, including the Constance's. As if she would stowaway Antoinette. Though her friend, Constance would not be the first hiding spot choice.

"And the Queen?"

Constance fixed the few strands astray on Antoinette. She re-curled them. "She excused you for a sudden illness and you needed your rest,"

Antoinette splashed a hand to her face, waffing the air around her. "Cardinal isn't gullible to believe that. But he wouldn't defy the Queen in public."

Constance stopped her hands. "There's one more thing," Her hesitation twirled Antoinette about.

"Yes?"

Constance shuffled a step forward then back, anxious to tell. But also in fear. Antoinette wasn't herself this morning, and who would know how she would react. "Earlier Jussac led some men to the towns to summon the Musketeers. They are to be punished by the King himself,"

Antoinette gapped her mouth open. Her back kissed the wall roughly. The top of her head bounced at the smooth texture. There was no way she did not think of the repercussions. From her own excitement and without the necessary execution of her actions, she might as well deliver the Musketeers to the guillotine.

Eyes closed, heart slowed for a moment. Constance watched as she deeply breathed in and out. Aramis. She needed to warn Aramis and the others. But how? Antoinette had not a friend nor acquaintance other than Constance and the...

A faint idea brimmed to her conscious. It was risky and to bring it up would be deterimental. She had helped so much. To ask for her counsel again?