"But how not? You're from Two aren't you?"

I nod. "I think the person who was supposed to volunteer this year chickened out or something."

They both nod. The little girl looks back down at the floor.

"Are you okay?" I ask.

Is she okay? Well, of course not, stupid. I could slap myself.

"I want to go home," she says simply. Bless her.

"Me too," I sigh. "What are your names?"

"Rose," sniffs the girl.

I mentally gasp. That's kind of scary. "My baby sister's called Rose," I say, thinking out loud.

She nods. "I saw her at your reaping. What happened to her?" she asks shyly.

I shiver. "Er .. It doesn't matter."

"I'm Ray," pipes up.

"Nice to meet you both."

"Penelope! What are you doing over there? Are you trying to muck up my schedule? Come back here!" shrieks Violetta.

I roll my eyes and pull a face, making them both laugh. "She's even worse than our lady," says Ray.

I realize something. "Where is your escort?"

"Oh, she said we had to wait here for a bit. I'm glad to be rid of her for a few seconds to be honest."

I nod and smile, though I'm still concerned that they've been left, even if it is only for a few seconds. It reminds me of when I have to leave my sister on her own for a few minutes to see if I can get some food, or anything else we happen to need. She's usually asleep and I'm as quick as I can be, but I always worry. Anything could happen.

"Penelope, are you deaf? Hurry up!"

"I'll see you later," I say quickly, and walk back.

"Why were you talking to them?" asks Brutus, giving me a funny look.

"Why can't I?"

He sighs. "I'll explain later."

~

"This is your bedroom Penelope. You might want to wash up and get changed. Dinner will be in half an hour."

I nod and wait till she's left, and then throw myself down on the bed, sinking into the fluffy pillows. I honestly can't be bothered with anything anymore.

A notice a kind of remote on the table. When I pick it up I realize you can order food and stuff from it. I order a hot chocolate with extra marshmallows, and within minutes an avox knocks on the door. I thank him and slowly sip my drink and walk around the room.

It's similar to the one in the train, only bigger. The wardrobe is full of clothes (to my delight), and I pick out a blue pencil skirt and a black top. I feel weirdly clever knowing how to use the shower this time round. I wash my hair twice just to make sure I get all of the stuff Saffra sprayed into it out.

I don't really want to go down to dinner and sit with them, but eventually I give in to hunger and walk through to the dining room.

I don't look at anyone. I just sit down and start piling my plate with rice and chicken covered in an orange sauce. I don't think most of them realised I sat down. Cato and Brutus are talking tactics (again), and Violetta's reading whatever's on her clipboard (again).

I sit back and tuck in to my food. It's delicious, and there's even more food than there was on the train. Maybe it wasn't such a bad idea coming down to dinner after all. I'm about to get some more of this purple melon that I've taken a fancy to, when I hear Brutus.

"Did you get that?"

What?

"Er .. No. Get what, sorry?"

He rolls his eyes. "That you need to toughen up if you want to stand any chance in the arena. You're far too soft - I mean look at you with those kids today."

"But they looked so miserable and scared. I was just trying to be nice to them."

"Exactly. Stop being so nice to everyone. You can't be nice in the arena. You're just going to make it way harder for yourself," cuts in Enobaria.

"Bu-

"Oh just forget it. But when you die in that arena, try not to bring too much shame on Two," spits Brutus. "Or actually, just do us all a favour and go die now. It'll save them the trouble, and we won't have to deal with you anymore."

It feels like I've been physically slapped. I can scarcely believe how twisted these people are. I don't want to spend another minute with any of them. I refuse to be like them just to try and win. I really don't feel like sticking it out for another week or so until my brutal, televised murder. I also don't want my sister to have to witness something like that.

D'you know what? I think I will do them all that favour.

"Okay," I say quietly, and stand up and slowly walk out of the apartment. No-one bothers to stop me.

My walk turns to a run as I see the elevator. Thankfully, there's no one in it. I press the roof level and collapse onto the floor, sobbing. That's it. It's over. I'm done. I've failed. I've lost my baby sister, and I'll never get her back. I'm not strong enough to handle it all. I'm weak.

The elevator comes to a stop and the door slides open, blowing in a cool breeze. I get up and walk over to the edge. I take a shaky step up the wall and close my eyes.

1

It's nearly over

2

Just one little step

3

I close my eyes.

"Stop!"

I whip round. It's Cato, he must have followed me.

God, I hate him.