0.3

echo.

tara had practically locked me in my room, not allowing me to escape the torture that was getting ready for a party. for once, i hadn't complained as she dressed me in a too-short dress and tall shoes. i sat still, knowing that the more i complied the quicker it would be over. tara seemed impressed with me after she had finished on me. she also seemed impressed with herself from turning me from dead to drop dead . when she finally let me look at myself - she was always so dramatic when it came to the revelation - i was in awe. the dress was black and made my petite body look like it had vavoom, the simple black heels made my legs seemingly last for hours. my dark hair which usually hung limp and framed my face had actual volume and fell down my back in light curves. i smiled at my reflection, my dark red lips pulling up in the corners and my blue eyes glistened brightly with the help of the smokey eye shadow and sharp eyeliner.

i looked like i was sixteen again and i was actually happy about that.

tara beamed up to me, her beautiful face excited and gleeful.

"luke just text me, he's outside," she told me and i nodded.

tonight i wasn't going to be echo the introvert, tonight i was going to be sixteen year old echo, the happy echo.

the party was held in the house of one of tara's friends from college. luke knew him too, since he was pretty popular. of course, i didn't know anyone in this town and that's why tara made it her life mission for me to have at least fifty new friends and a possible boyfriend. the idea was ludicrous in my eyes, but perfect in tatra's. luke just went along with tara's flow.

luke parked the car a few houses down from the actual party so we got out and walked the few minutes.

"do you think calum's gonna be here?" tara asked, looking at luke. i smirked and met luke's blue eyes. he copied my features, winking at me.

"i think so, tara, why?" luke questioned, keeping the smirk in place as we watched her cheeks turn a violent pink under her foundation. i chuckled, tara narrowed her eyes at me.

"oh relax, everyone but calum knows you like him," i rolled my eyes. honestly, this calum dude was pretty oblivious if he hadn't realised. tara grimaced while luke laughed.

"shut up," was all she said as we walked into the house full of sweaty bodies, blaring music and the smell of alcohol.

multicoloured lights flashed, turning the guests skin strange colours as they grinded and bounced along to the beat trying their best not to spill their drinks. tara had disappeared, in search of calum i bet, so luke and i stuck together and made our way to the kitchen to get a drink. luke had gotten himself a beer while i sipped at my cup of jack and coke. he made a face at me while i drank.

"how the fuck does a girl like you drink a cup mostly filled with jack daniels as if it's water?" he grinned. a girl like me, i snorted but grinned deviously at him.

"well, you see, lucas, i've been drowning my emotions in all sorts of drinks but jack just has to be my favourite," i winked, knowing that this kind of joking was cool with luke especially because he was one of the select people who knew the truth. he grinned at me, laughing, before taking a swig from the dark bottle.

"i'd love to be able to handle jack," he told me, pointing a finger at my cup.

"and i'd love to be able to swallow beer," i told him, wincing a little. again, he laughed.

"beer isn't that bad," he argued playfully, starting the banter. my eyebrows furrowed as i stuck my tongue out.

"luke, beer is disgusting." luke placed his, now empty, bottle on the counter and shrugged before grabbing a cup and filling it  with vodka and sprite. i raised an eyebrow, my cup at my lips, as i watched the lanky noodle try down the full cup. he squeezed his eyes shut as he chugged and i couldn't help the giggle the stifled through my lips. his face was one of disgust when he put the nearly empty cup on the counter. he rolled his eyes at me.

"pussy," i laughed and he winked.

"i am what i eat," he grinned and i pretended to retch.

"luke what the fuck?" he didn't answer, just broke out in fits of giggles.

"echo!" someone called from behind me.

tara bounced up, not very gracefully, with a tanned dark haired boy with full lips and a killer jawline.
luke soon stopped laughing, wiping away his imaginary tears. luke hugged the boy, who i'm guessing was calum, and tara watched the boys with wide eyes.  once calum was free from the noodle arms of luke hemmings, tara held calum's hand and they stood in front of me.

"calum, this is my best friend echo. echo this is calum," she introduced before excusing her tipsy self so she could get another drink. luke wandered after her, leaving me alone with calum.

"echo, huh?" he started, his dark eyes glinting. i nodded, a smile forming on my lips.

"strange name, i like it," he complimented and i shrugged.

"it's alright i mean, at least there's no other echo's here so i know they mean me," i grinned. he took a sip of his beer.

"you're the only girl named echo in this town?" he asked, raising a bushy eyebrow.

"yup," i grinned, my lips popped loudly on the p. he was silent for a few moments, pondering his thoughts. i swayed to the upbeat music, unable to stay still. he opened his mouth, possibly wondering if he should speak what was on his mind or not. i awaited patiently, my pulse beating loudly behind my ears. i started to feel panicked, wondering what this boy could know or say. he opened his mouth once more, allowing the words to spill out.

"do you know someone called michael?" 

have you guys listened to badlands yet? gasoline is fucking amazing i love halsey