0.2

echo.

there was something i was drawn to when it came to mysteries. maybe it was the satisfaction you feel when it's solved, or maybe that life is never dull if you're surrounded by a mystery. it could explain that whenever i decided to visit la la land in between texting my best friend, all i could see was the red hair and the beautiful green irises. there was something about that boy that interrupted my peace on the roof top last night and since he dropped me off i couldn't stop thinking of him.

a knock signaled that my best friend had finally arrived and shook me out of my daydream. i called out, telling her that the door was open and in she came, her blonde curls bouncing. she spotted me lying there on my couch, possibly looking half dead because i hadn't slept in 24 hours. instead of being a nice person and sitting beside me, tara decided to belly flop onto me and completely crush me. wheezing, i tried to push the giggling blonde girl off me without any luck.

"tara," i croaked, "get the fuck off me!" she continued to laugh and climbed off me, throwing a brown paper bag at me. i sat up, adjusting the blanket i had draped over my shoulders so that it covered us both.

"what're our plans for the day?" she asked in her bubblegum voice. i shrugged, moving the blanket. i could feel tara roll her eyes at me. if it were up to me, we'd change into our onesies, pig out on whatever sugary food i had and binge watch rupaul's drag race. it was never up to me, tara only asked to seem polite. she figured that i needed new friends which wasn't true. i had two friends, luke and tara, and they were all i needed.

"how about we do some shopping? we can go buy new clothes for this party tonight," she wiggled her eyebrows, a thing she did when she wasn't taking no for an answer. i stayed silent for a few minutes before sighing and wordlessly going to my room to get ready. tara shouted a muffled thank you in her baby voice and i felt happy that i was making her happy.

by the time we hit our seventh store, my feet were sore and i was already tired. tara, on the other hand, was a ball of energy. i swear she was taking drugs because someone could not always be that perky. bags from the previous stores decorated her arms as she smiled and waved at the other shoppers. we were polar opposites in social situations, she was bright and bubbly and outgoing when I simply wasn't any of those things. I was reserved, I guess that's a good word, and quiet.

"when are we going home?" i complained, in case she didn't realise by now she was the only one who got any sort of sleep in the past twenty four hours. she rolled her eyes at me.

"there's one more store that we're going to then we're going, okay?" she huffed the answer and i smiled with glee, glad we'd be leaving this place though i was dreading tonight. while we ventured to the last store, that seemed to be miles from the usual, popular stores, tara chattered on and on about tonight. every two minutes she's talk about his guy called calum, but it wasn't what she was saying, it was how she was saying it. her blue eyes would sparkle as his name rolled off her tongue, she'd smile wider.

"you like him, don't you?" i interrupted her and she immediately blushed and shook her head. i smirked, nodding at her lie.

"you do, tara, i know you," i grinned. i was happy for tara, i hadn't ever seen her like this over a boy.

"oh shut up," she beamed, the blush darkening. i giggled at her, she was a typical girl when it came to boys.

she continued her story until we reached a dark store, all sorts of facial jewellery and colourful wigs in the small display windows. confusion hit me, this store wasn't tara's style at all. she grinned up at me.

"we've done everything i wanted to do today and i noticed that some of your band tees are looking kinda old," she explained and my heart started to warm up. speechlessly, i followed her into the dark store that was playing sum 41 through the speakers. it was basically a place like hot topic, just less childishness. we searched through the racks, in search of my favourite bands merchandise. while here, i thought i might as well pick up some septum rings.

once we were happy with our entire haul, tara and i headed home and i started to feel excited about the party tonight.

once we arrived on my floor, i huffed in annoyance. the loud music bounced off the walls in the hallway. tara questioned me with her eyes, but i chose to ignore her. we left all of our bags in my room becuase we still had a few hours to ready ourselves for tonight. the music was enough to have tara complain and tara never complained.

"what the fuck?" she groaned, flopping onto my sofa.

"i swear, his music is always so loud!" i rolled my eyes. she looked at me, clearly annoyed and frustrated.

"what room is he in?"

"room 93."

"why haven't you complained yet?" she asked and i couldn't think of an answer. i just shrugged her off, patted her leg and hurried on into the bedroom.

if i told her about the mysterious tenant of room 93, i'd end up telling her about the mysterious boy from the night before.

oh wow, hi! i should've updated sooner so i apologise. hopefully you readers are enjoying this so far!