0 | the end

THE END | zero

THE THOUGHT OF SILENCE FRIGHTENS ME.

Maybe it's because I've never truly been alone, or that silence has always suffocated me. Maybe it was both.

I was an out-going kid. Talked to everyone whether they were willing to speak with me or not. I could talk for hours and hours, and made the quietest and most introverted kids uncomfortable. I spoke of random things, made some people laugh and smile. I was happy doing what I did. I was happy spreading around kindness and happiness, because no one deserved to live without it.

Growing up, I've always had someone by my side; someone to wipe away my tears, kiss away boo-boos, hug away my fears, and to pull me back up when I've fallen down. But now, I had no one. I was lying on the cold, uncomfortable concrete floor surrounded by silence.

I mean, what else had I expected? The only people surrounding me had already passed on. They had already accepted their fates, unlike I, who fought to keep anymore blood from spilling.

I had always imagined my death. Either dying old with a family of my own or dying while protecting my village. This, this was not the may I wanted it to end. Alone, forgotten, and weak. I hated that I was going down without a fight; I hated that I was leaving so many people I cared about.

Though, as odd as it maybe, I somehow found comfort in the silence. I could hear the soft rustle the tree leaves would make as the night breeze pushed and pulled. I welcomed the silence; I welcomed the merciless pain pricking at my body; I welcomed the darkness.

"I'm sorry," I peeled my eyes open, slowly blinking as I tried to clear my vision. Their fingers laced together with mine, wrapping around my limp hand as they clutched onto it as though their lives depended on it.

They shifted my body, pulling me into them as they used their free hand to caress my hair. Small drops of water landed on my cheeks, rolling off as though I was crying; as though they were my tears.

I'm okay.

My throat burned, my mouth parched as my eyes blurred. Spots of black appearing in front of me as I tried blinking them away. I wanted to tell them that I was okay; I wanted them to stop crying.

"You didn't deserve this," I can hear, "You didn't deserve any of this."

Their tone was low and sinfully smoothly as I identified them as a male. He sounded familiar, but with all the sorrow dripping from his words, it was hard to figure out who he was. My brain wasn't working fast enough. I couldn't see or properly hear him, I wanted to know who he was!

My body slowly tenses as something soft brushing against my knuckles and plants a kiss. His breath feels warm against my cold skin as I slowly curl my fingers around his own. His lips plant another kiss, before he drops his head, a sob wrecking through his body.

Everything is going to be okay.

I want to say. But the words seem stuck in my throat and I can't reassure him that everything is going to be okay; that I'm okay.

"I begged him," He whispered, "I got on my knees and begged him. But he wouldn't allow it. He said I could only pick one of you." He paused, shaking his head, "I'm sorry, I'm so sorry."

It's okay.

I want to say, but I can't seem to remember how to form words. I'm too tired to think; too tired to speak. I want to sleep.

He drops my hand, his arms wrapping around me tightly as he pulls me into him. He's warm and blocks out the harsh breeze that's biting away at my bare skin. My fingers wrap around his shirt as I clutch onto him.

I don't want to go. I want to stay.

My words come out as coughs; harsh violent coughs that wreck through my body leaving me weaker then I already am.

"Shh," He hums into my hair, planting a kiss on my forehead as he rocks me back and forth.

My vision seems to be even more blurry as I cry. It makes me pause and think, trying to figure out why I'm crying. Was it for him, or was it because something sad was happening? I don't understand.

"I'm sorry," He repeats, his lips brushing against my forehead, "I'm sorry."

I forgive you, I want to say, I forgive you.

He's a broken record, repeating over and over again. His words pierce through my heart just like the blade had done a few seconds ago. The wound on my stomach no longer hurts, I'm numb. It's my heart, pounding and aching against my chest that makes it harder to breathe. My heart, my lungs, and my brain are giving out on me, I wasn't going to last longer.

I want to stay, I yell.

Here, I beg.

By your side, I cry.

"I love you."

But I know I have to let you go, I whisper.

I can see his face. His beautiful, troubled eyes that are glistening with tears, locking me in their gaze, his nose brushing against mine, my hand resting on his cheek, his lips descending upon mine.

My hand falls limp, the darkness closing in one me. A smile gracing my lips as he pulls away, taking my last breath with him.

Thank you, I want to mention, for everything.

I'm sorry, I want to utter, for leaving.

I love you, I want to announce, I love you too...

Itachi.