Chapter One

Photo of Lorelei Spector at side. (:

                                                         Chapter One

            You are cordially invited to the wedding of Hudson Robert Clark and Meredith Samantha Van Der Hooven.

I have to look away from the save-the-date card. The pretty cursive writing is over a professional photo of Meredith and Hudson. They’re overlooking a beautiful waterfall. Hudson has his arms around Meredith. You can see the love in their eyes. I can tell Hudson loves Meredith more than life it’s self just by the way he’s holding her and looking at her.

It’s been almost four months since Hudson and Meredith got engaged. There is not a second that I do not think about it. I feel like the worst friend in the entire world.

But I love him. I always have.

Ever since that moment freshman year of high school I’ve been smitten. Hudson was all I thought about for those four years. I never came close to even speaking to him, but he was always, always on my mind. It wasn’t until Meredith graduated from New York University that she told me about her new beau. I had no idea that it was going to be Hudson.

But it was. I never thought it was going to be this hard.

            “Lorelei, are you all right?”

I look up from the save-the-date card to see Brooke. She is standing in front of me in her work uniform and her hair in a top-knot, but she looks gorgeous. Her dark chocolate brown hair looks effortless and her brown eyes are so warm and welcoming. She has freckles covering her nose and cheeks. She’s adorable, just like her personality.

            “I’m fine…I think.”

Brooke frowns until she sees the card in my hands. When I told Brooke about Hudson I broke down into tears. Thankfully she understood and she knows what I’m going through. She’s in love with a handsome blonde guy who comes into the shop all the time. It’s quite cute to see her light up like a Christmas tree.

            “You need a distraction. You need to find somebody else.”

            “I know. I don’t think I can though.”

What if I can? What if I just give it a chance?

Meredith has asked me several times to help plan her wedding. I’ve pretended I didn’t get her messages. I’ve been a God awful friend. What if this is what I need?

            “I think you’re right. I’m going to go out there and help Meredith and Hudson plan their wedding,” saying this aloud made my stomach knot up. What if I can’t do it?

Before Brooke could even reply, the mystery blonde guy enters the store. He’s at least six feet two inches tall. He has short blonde hair the spikes up at the top. He’s very handsome. Brooke takes her hair out the top-knot and races over to the cash register. I have never seen her this excited before.

I can’t help but smile myself.

***

After a somewhat mellow day at work, I find my way back to my apartment. I turn on the lights and leave my bag on the kitchen counter. I look out the window and think a little bit longer. This is what I need to do. I am expected to do this.

            “Hello?”

            “Hello Hudson is Meredith in?” my nerves are getting the best of me. I hope he can’t hear it in my voice.

            “She sure is. Hang on a second, Lorelei.”

I wait patiently until I hear the familiar, overly-happy voice on the other end. “Oh my gosh Lorelei, I haven’t talked to you in forever.”

            “I know. I’m sorry. I’ve just been pretty busy with work and all. And I’m moving to—“

            “You’re moving again?!”

            “Yes. Anyways, I want to tell you that I would be honored to help you and Hudson plan your wedding.”

All of sudden Meredith screams at the top of her lungs. Instant fear fills me. Is something wrong? Is she okay?

            “I am so happy! Oh my God. Lorelei you’re the best friend a girl could ask for.”

Those words sunk in. I am aren’t I? I’m the good friend who would do anything to make sure others are happy. But when it comes to me, I’m a lost cause.

~So this is the first chapter of Timing is Everything. I sure hope you enjoyed it. I’m having a very fun time writing this novel. Please let me know what you think. I know this chapter wasn’t too exciting, but there is more ahead. Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to read my work. Xoxo Krissy