"Did I make a bad first impression?" she wondered aloud. Kabuto scratched the back of his head and looked out the window as well.

"I thought you were just as polite as you were with the others. Perhaps he's just having a bad week?"

Day 10

Sakura was starting to think that Itachi just didn't like her. Every time she passed him, she'd wave, give him a small smile, or say a soft 'hello'. Half the time, he'd ignore her and the other half he looked at her like he wanted to stab her in the throat. Kisame had even taken the liberty to stick close to her in fear that Itachi might actually lash out and kill her at any second.

What did she ever do to him? They did cross paths once or twice back in her days as a Konoha shinobi, but other than that, she couldn't think of a single thing she had done to offend him. When Deidara learned of this development, he waved it off.

"The Uchiha isn't the most personable, un. You shouldn't worry so much," he said when he came to report his mission with his genin team. "Besides, I'm sure he's gone all ice queen on you because he can't stand your good looks, hm."

Sakura chuckled at the compliment while the genin groaned.

"Ugh, you're so lame, sensei," Isaribi whined.

"No kidding," Menma sighed. "Sakura-sama's way too pretty for you."

"Completely out of your league!" Yukimaru chirped. Deidara jerked his thumb at them.

"Can I change my team? Preferably to the nice, cute genin they're supposed to be, un?" he asked. There was no real anger in his words, Sakura noted happily. She was glad that Deidara had settled well into his new role like all the other members who chose to stay with Otogakure.

"Sorry, Deidara-san. You're stuck with them until they become chuunin. Maybe even a little after that," she grinned. Deidara returned the grin before turned around and ushered his team out the door.

"If that's the case, you little craps are going to train even more so I can get rid of you, un!"

He was met with a chorus of protests before he threw a wink over his shoulder and shut the door behind him. It was nice that there were so many people in the village who could lift her spirits to the point where she could nearly forget about her worries.

Nearly.

Marisu came through the door, having just returned to the village a few days prior, not too long after Deidara and his genin had taken their leave. She had a short stack of papers in her hands and a serious expression on her face.

"I've approved everything we need, Sakura-sama. Would you like to start the procedure?"

"... Yes. I'll meet you at the hospital right away."

Marisu nodded and placed the papers on the desk before turning and leaving the office. Sakura stood to follow her, but not before opening her drawer and giving a wobbly smile at the Team Seven photo she stashed in there.

"Happy Birthday, Naruto."

Day 15

She was looking worse for wear and almost everyone who saw her took notice. Sakura was weaker and paler than she normally was even though the had that same bright smile and cheerful attitude. Various people questioned her well being out of concern for her health, but she reassured them with her light, uplifting words that she'd be fine later on in the month. There was nothing actively wrong with her. A small setback had popped up in her way, is all.

Despite disliking her to a great extent, Itachi couldn't help but grow curious at what was going on behind the scenes. Sakura was a medic, obviously, and he didn't think she'd let herself get that sick for this long. So he subtly brought it up to Kakuzu.